Part 6

or the one where Lex gives his sister a present, the present is Kara and Lena knows it's really messed up but he doesn't seem to get that. She puts on an act for Lex and fools everyone a little too well. also, Lex is a dick 

"Little sister, come and meet your gift." Lex said just as Lena came around the corner.

He had changed attire as well, and his brow was bare. In placement of a crown he wore his signet ring and an over-sized wedding band set with a glittering emerald, only a shade brighter than Lena's eyes. It was as good as any crown to their people after having witnessed a wedding between the state and the king shortly after his coronation. Even in her youth Lena had despised those public frivolities.

"A...uhm, a lovely gift she is indeed." Lena replied as the blood rushed to her cheeks. Speaking of another human being in this manner made her sick to her stomach. Lena hoped Kara could read in her eyes that she did not believe the gladiator to be a simple present bought and given.

"I wanted to get you something... or someone as beautiful as you, but infinitely more useful." Lex said in a casual tone, as though he was not crushing her with his words. "Maybe you will develop some kind of work ethic being around her."

The only time she saw a change in Kara's facial expression was when Lex threw the barb and the blonde seemed semi-sympathetic. Lena was pleased to see Kara's facial features were just as attractive up close as the rest of her. Her blue eyes resembled the clearest sapphires, betraying no more emotion than the stones themselves. Lena nervously smoothed her skirts as she looked the gladiator over.

Despite the many battles she had been through in the day, she appeared relatively unharmed. Kara was bruised but triumphant.

"So, why exactly did you buy me a gladiator, Your Highness?" Lena asked awkwardly in an attempt to keep her staring from being so evident. She did not want to insult Kara or make her brother angry. "Not that I am complaining....she is lovely."

"She is to protect you and keep an eye on you. You are not worth a specific detail for your protection, especially when I do not know who I can and can not trust. I certainly was not going to go out and find a young woman to be trained for your companionship and corruption. This seemed like the next best option." Lex said as though it were the most natural conclusion.

"Thank you, my king. I will treasure her each day she is with me. You are most gracious, sire." Lena said with a half-curtsy. Her eyes were cast downwards but she could still feel Lex and Kara's blue gazes on her.

"You may escort her to your chambers and get to know her, then. You will certainly be spending a lot of time together from now on." Lex said with a glimmer of disgust in his eyes. "Remember she is yours now. You will be fully responsible for her."

"I will show you the way if you would be so kind as to follow me, Ms.Kara, " Maggie offered when she realized her best friend had gone speechless with rage. Her face and tone were neutral in the presence of the king, but there was an underlying warning to her tone only Lena would catch.

A council meeting that Lena was not privy to was imminent so they would have some privacy at least for a short while. If she were to enjoy any privacy now that she had a glorified babysitter. Lena wanted to believe Kara would be a new friend or companion but she had no idea what Lex had on Kara or what he had threatened her with. Lena would have to figure out Kara's allegiance first. If they really were going to be together 24/7 she would have to win the other woman over first and foremost.