Part 1

or the one where our story begins

She woke up as she did each morning to a cold stone floor on the bottoms of her feet and the cold stone walls around her. A servant had left her morning tea; still piping hot right outside of her bedroom door on a tray. She groaned as she realized what day it was and all that it would entail.

Lena brought her tea to her vanity as she waited to wake up enough to be able to start her day. She nibbled at the biscuits on her tray. Lena hoped they would settle her stomach. The ordeal had yet to begin but she already felt sick. There was nothing else in her world disturbed her in this way.

The Games were mandatory. Even as the Crown Princess, Lex Luthor did not allow his sister and as yet only heir to miss out on the yearly gladiator tournaments. He said she needed to see the displays of strength of the people of his country and their captives. Lena despised the violence, especially towards the innocents, and the people who had never asked to be there. If she ever became queen, she was determined to do away with the practice.

Lena decided to dress accordingly, she turned to her wardrobe, and feeling like a petulant teenager; searched for the most dour dress she owned.

"My lady?" a servant asked from the doorway, her head only barely peeking around the side. Maggie knew as well anyone how Lena hated these events. "His Highness the King requires your presence to discuss the days...erm...celebrations."

"Thank you, Maggie. You know you may always speak freely in my presence." Lena reminded her. "You can trust me, and please call me Lena when we are alone together. We have discussed this, my friend."

"Yes my lady, I mean Lena. His Highness has a meal to break your fast prepared, when you care to join him. He is in one of his moods, so you may want to hurry along with your preparations, lady." Maggie advised and shut the door behind her as she backed out.

Lena rolled her eyes. Her brother seemed to be intent to push her to the very edge lately. Lena felt lucky to have developed such a vice-grip upon her temper or she might have gotten herself into some real trouble early on.

Lena finished getting ready and padded down the hall through the maze-like corridors of her home. For those who had not spent the majority of their young lives in the castle, it was quite easy to get lost.

"You beckon and I arrive, my brother king." Lena said to Lex Luthor, who sat at the head of the banquet table which was set for two. He was dressed just as finely as always in a royal blue fitted suit, embroidered with rich golden threads. It brought out his ice-cold blue eyes. In accordance with his outfit, Lex wore a sapphire encrusted golden circlet on his otherwise bare brow. Lena knew better than anyone else in the kingdom how angry any mention of her brother's baldness could make him. The king was famous for his temper.

"You have always been reliable in that at least, my sister." Lex answered her haltingly. He was glowering at her choice in garmentation, exactly as Lena had expected him to. She suppressed a grin at the realization.

Lena had to rebel under her brother's thumb. It was well known at least within those large stone walls, that the tyrant of a king had a deep cruel streak. If Lena had not learned as a younger woman she might have been 'removed' from the line of succession long ago. Still, she often stifled in her position and did just the smallest of things to irk Lex. The staff usually got a good kick out of it.

"Thank you, Your Highness. I am glad to be here for you to rely upon." Lena dipped into a respectable curtsy before taking her seat. Only the barest hint of cheek was evident in her tone. Only when she saw Lex begin to eat, did she begin to pick from her own plate.

"Is that really what you intend to wear, Lena? I know you surely have something that will set you apart from the background. If you insist upon pulling these stunts, we will not ever find you a husband." Lex groaned.

"You know, I am really okay with that." Lena shrugged it off.

"Be sure to change anyway." Lex commanded. "Preferably something in blue. We must at least present ourselves as a united front. This kingdom needs stability now more than anything else, little sister and I need you at my side more than ever."

It would have almost sounded okay if you did not know how to read between the lines.. When it came to Lex, everything was about establishing his dominance and this in particular was to demonstrate his control over his sister; right down to the color of the gown she would wear.

Lena growled under her breath at the command and low enough that Lex could not hear. She would have to come up with something else to get him back for this. The king waved his hand at her in dismissal. She took the plate of fruits and cheeses with her for good measure.

Lena slammed the chamber door behind her and watched Maggie jump nearly completely out of her skin.

"He sent you to change before you could leave?" Maggie asked knowingly.

"Bald bastard will not let me have anything. He even demanded that I wear blue." Lena growled as Maggie unlaced her.

"Do you want me to get the really bad blue one out of the back? If you are lucky it may ruin and we will not be able to salvage it after. It would take care of two birds with one stone." Maggie suggested as she let the material fall to the floor to pick up later.

"You are a brilliant little woman, Maggie Sawyer." Lena said in a tone of surprise that drew a smirk to the small handmaid's face.