Part 5

or the one where Lex is full of shit. Kara is apparently chattel. Lena doesn't want to be there. Maggie is over Lena's antics but loves the princess anyway.  

Lena hid her face in her book for the remainder of the festivities until she was told she had to look up. When looking up finally became possible, she paid only the barest amount of attention to the end proceedings. For the duration of the final speech, she stood by her brother and did her best to appear as amicable as possible. She was much too close to him and it made her miserable. Lena did not even realize she was trembling until Maggie grabbed her hand and squeezed it behind their skirts. She waved and smiled until she felt her face may freeze that way. It was almost a relief to sit and listen to Lex drone on for an hour or so.

Maggie had to nudge her to draw her attention once more.

"Are we leaving?" Lena asked in a mildly groggy tone of voice.

"No, but he has just called Kara back out. You will need to hear this." Maggie said, sitting up at attention and fully alert.

"What? What is going on?" Lena asked, jamming the book back into her skirts and looking around. Kara looked equally nervous but still stoic. Lena respected Kara's ability to stare up at the king with her chin up and her spine straight. All-in-all Kara seemed beautifully defiant.

"As some of you may know, threats against the royal family have been made by neighboring kingdoms. I have but one heir; my beloved sister and the Crown Princess, Lena. Her protection is my highest priority and in that vein, Kara, I am freeing you from the life of tournaments. You will come to the castle and guard my sister." Lex asked, his tone leaving no room for objections.

"As you wish, sire." Kara nodded in forced acceptance and placed a fist over her heart before bowing. Lena did not know what was going to come next, but she knew for certain nothing was ever going to be the same.

-----/////-----

The rest of the evening went by in a blur. Lena was swept into her carriage, but not until she had been certain to drag the hems of her skirts through every questionable puddle she could find. Maggie chuckled audibly and covered it with coughs more than once. She often had trouble holding back laughter being in the direct employ of Lena Luthor. It was not even so much that she tried to be funny as it all came much too naturally to her. Lena hated that dress more than any other gift her brother had gifted her over the years. Lex thought he was funny, but would always subsequently force her to use them in public. The princess was creative in the ways she got back at him with those such gifts.

Lex had stayed back to work out prices with the head of the stadium for Kara's contract. Though he had described it publically almost as though it were some kind of job offer, Kara would be an indentured servant to the Luthor household. The staff only made it out dead, disgraced or snuck out by Lena, Maggie, and a few of their choice allies.

There was a distinct possibility if Lex were to find out Lena facilitated the escape of these poor souls, he would have her put to death, sole heir or not. The matter was kept completely quiet, never allowing anyone outside of the small group privy to the risky affair. Her friends never sold her out, but they did spread the word to other castle staff to go to her if they were ever in trouble.

"The master beckons again, my lady." Maggie advised. "He seems a mite too pleased with himself this time in my opinion."

"Does he have Kara with him?" Lena asked nervously, drying her palms on the scarlet dress she had changed into as soon as they had gotten home.

"Yes, lady." Maggie answered. "We should get down there before he angers."

"Of course, Ms.Sawyer. I will be right behind you the whole way." Lena stood and smoothed her skirts out, hip-checking Maggie on her way in an attempt to break the tension. Lena and Maggie knew Kara's close presence could endanger more than just their normal routine.

"You are ridiculous." Maggie hissed, walking just behind Lena as was her formal place.

"You love me anyway." Lena stage-whispered back.

"I hate that you are not wrong." Maggie replied and Lena could almost physically feel Maggie rolling her eyes.