Part 36

the one with the drinking and the dancing, and everyone gets a little swept away  

-----/////-----

"So, this is the legendary sister, Alex Danvers." Lena murmured to Kara when they all gathered for dinner in the tavern on the ground floor of the inn. "I never imagined she would be here."

"Me either. I missed her more than I thought possible." Kara replied, her eyes misting over. "After I lost everything, I found solace in as long as I had Alex, I still felt as though I had a semblance of a family. For a time, she was everything to me. My whole world in one little, incredibly reckless, person."

"I am glad you have her back, though she is not quite what I expected her to be." Lena reached under the table to grasp Kara's hand as Alex led the tavern in a toast to her sister, filled with the kind expletives Lena had only heard out of soldiers and sailors. The blood rushed to Kara's cheeks and Lena laughed. "I think I like her."

Music struck up and the two women saw a jovial and probably inebriated Winn singing with the small group of musicians, ale splashing out of the tankard. Kara laughed too when Lena pointed it out. People began to pair up and dance, pushing the tables to the sides of the room to form a dance-floor. Alex took a turn with most everyone in the room, even allowing Kara and Winn to swing her around a few times. The two princesses kept coming back to one another, however.

Lena felt the most comfortable next to Kara. Everyone was having good and rowdy fun with one another but Lena was not used to dances like this. It was all so informal and individuals yelled across the room to one another or tucked into dark corners to be alone. It was disconcerting until she found those earnest blue eyes looking in her own once more.

"Dance with me." said Kara, taking Lena's hands and tugging her into the sea of bodies.

It was a lot easier for Lena without the wide hoop skirts and the strict court rules of where you could and could not touch. Like this, she could lose herself in the music and trust Kara's warm hands to guide her through the unfamiliar steps. As she was whipped around the lights blurred and contented warmth spread through her. Lena had to wonder if all peasants got to have nights like this if the rest of the nobility knew what they had been missing. She loved this feeling.

Kara laughed with joy, one hand steady on the small of Lena's back, the other gently holding Lena's hand as Kara guided her across the makeshift dance floor. Their feet moved effortlessly in tandem. Lena's eyes were closed as though she were enraptured by the moment and the warm drink flowing through her veins. Black hair floated behind her. When her green eyes met Kara's, the blonde felt as though she were the one who had been swept away.

Kara's hands traveled up and down Lena's back as they slowed down, chests heaving against one another, and their cheeks flushed. Lena leaned against her, Kara taking almost her whole weight as though it were nothing. She pressed her forehead to Kara's, giggling lightly and sounding young and free. Kara thought Lena this happy was easily the most wonderful thing she had ever seen.

Lena's arms looped around Kara's neck as they stared breathlessly into one another's eyes. Her heart pounded in her chest. Kara swiped her thumb gently over Lena's cheeks. Lena's eyes flicked from soft pink lips to Kara's eyes and back again. She shuddered once, her lip pulled between her teeth. Before she could second-guess herself again, Lena pressed forward and softly molded her lips against Kara's.

Lena backed away after only a moment, allowing Kara a moment to process, though she did not move her arms from around Kara's neck.

"Damn." Kara whispered lowly, staring wide-eyed and breathless at Lena.

"Damn?" Lena chuckled, not sure of what Kara meant but pretty sure it could not be all bad.

"Damn." Kara affirmed, nodding solemnly as she kissed her again, this time being firm and loving in response to Lena, given she was no longer completely taken by surprise.

When they finally parted, it was to applause from the surrounding crowd. Kara felt wholly overwhelmed away by the moment. She reached down and lifted her princess by the waist and swung her around in circles; laughing from deep in her stomach. Lena chuckled as well, giddy from all of the commotion, the kisses, and the dancing.

"This is kind of a perfect moment, is it not?" Lena asked.

In response, Kara kissed her once more.