Part 55

or the one where we get smort\

-----/////-----

The next few days, life around and inside of Cat Grant's Tavern and Inn grew bustling and busy. Alex and Winn, who had taken over Kara's duties in the training yard in order for her to fully step into her position as the general, had whipped their small forces into a frenzy. In the short time they had been working, Kara had seen changes in them all. She took no small amount of pride in the rise of their confidence. Alex took great pleasure in telling Kara how often they spoke of their mission being to make her proud. The sentiment warmed Kara's heart and brought a grin to Lena's face.

By the end of the week with no news of chaos in the capital or cancellation of the wedding, Kara and Alex had come up with something of a plan. Alex seemed much more certain than her younger sibling that it would work so long as everyone stuck together. And to the plan. A lot of her faith seemed to lie in Kara herself. She appreciated the confidence, but it left her a bit stressed and tense. Lena was concerned about her girlfriend but was not about to push until Kara came to her first.

She had been certain this day would come, and now it was Lena's turn to feel useless. She was no technician and was completely untrained in the arts of battle. Lena was spending her newly found free time mingling with the people or she was with Sam as she recuperated. The brunette seemed to be doing a lot better and was considerably stronger now, her face full of color. Sam looked almost like the girl Lena had once known.

She currently leaned heavily against Lena Luthor, as the young monarch helped Sam to walk down the upstairs Inn hallway, her legs shaking. By the time Lena got her back to her room, beads of sweat had formed across Sam's forehead and Lena had to work to keep Sam from collapsing into her bed.

"So, while I rest would you catch me up on how we all came to be here? Why are you being called a queen? What is going on with you and that gorgeous, muscular blonde woman? She looks at you like you make the stars shine and the planets turn." Sam said with exhaustion coloring her voice and a tone of amusement. "Kara Danvers, my rescuer."

Lena blushed visibly and looked down at her hands, suddenly bashful. She had found recently she struggled to put her feelings for her former bodyguard into words.

"Well, that is a very long story... and oddly enough it all started with you, my friend." Lena swallowed hard and met Sam's kind and understanding eyes. Lena's childhood friend, despite her current health status and her struggles, still radiated a soft sense of safety and home for Lena. "Kara came in much later though I would still color her one of the most important and central miracles of my life thus far."

Sam began to settle back into the soft nest of pillows. Eventually, Maggie, Winn, and James joined them quietly as Lena began to impart her story to Sam who listened intently, not wanting to miss anything. Maggie had been present for the vast majority of the two princess' adventures but enjoyed the tale of Winn, Lena and Kara's escape. Winn knew some of what had come before his friendship with Kara, but it sounded different and almost foreign from Lena's perspective. James had only heard bits and pieces, most of which he had gotten from Alex, but he found himself somewhat enthralled by the tale. He had no idea that the princess had felt every single instance as deeply as she had. This revelation changed his outlook on her almost completely.

Sam felt somewhat as though she were hearing a novel being read aloud and could almost see the action taking place. Sam gasped at all of the correct places and was not surprised by the truly badass things Kara pulled off. She was shocked and concerned to hear about Kara being stabbed, and Lena being attacked in her room. By the time Lena got to Kara leaving to rescue Sam and everyone was caught up, the room had gotten quite full and their patient was more tired than when the tale had begun.

Lena herself had gotten quite lost in the retelling and when she glanced around, Winn, James, and Maggie had taken seats on the bed by Sam or in the floor, and the Danvers siblings themselves were together behind her, leaning in the doorway and against a wall.

"Well, that all seems a bit wild when I hear it from your perspective, love." Kara stepped out from the shadow and leaned down to press a kiss to Lena's cheek.

"I think it all was quite wild and almost unbelievable. No matter how this all ends up, the two of you will live on forever in legend, I am sure." Alex chuckled as well. The dark to Kara's light as she emerged from a shadow. "Now, let us all clear out and leave Lady Samantha to her rest. I am told she went a whole two laps through the halls and back. I am very impressed by your progress."

Sam blushed and everyone but Maggie, Lena, Kara, and Alex left the room.

"Is there anything any of us can do for you Sam before you take your nap?" Maggie asked softly from Alex's side, which drew Kara's attention.

"I am already half asleep, so there is nothing really." Sam said with a few yawns breaking through her words every now and again."Thank you for the bedtime story."

"Alright, Sam. Sleep well. We will come by to check on you again, later." Lena replied. "And you are very welcome."

As soon as the door was closed behind them, Kara kissed Lena softly on the mouth for a long moment. She pulled Lena in so quickly and tightly that the other woman lost her balance and she would have fallen if not for Kara's strong arms around her.

"What was that for?" she asked.

"For being wonderful. For being yourself. You make my world turn, Lena Kieran Luthor. I would topple as many regimes and kingdoms as you wanted me to. No questions asked." Kara looked into Lena's eyes, equal parts tender and fierce as though she never wanted to stop looking at her.

"Now," Kara whipped around again and looked at Alex and Maggie who were standing three feet apart without looking at one another. "You two. Tell me what is going on here. I have sharp eyes, and I am a gladiator and bodyguard by trade. I do not miss anything. Maggie Sawyer and Alex Danvers. Are you two a thing?"