Part 51

Or the one with Sam Arias and the Danvers Sisters

-----/////-----

  Kara's day did not get much better. She re-told her story to the council, which was a bit better for not having been the first time and bit worse for all of the eyes and ears trained solely on her. Lena held her hand through the entire experience.

The next few days went by in a blur. Sam continued to sleep without stirring, only moving the slightest bit when Lena, Alex, or Kara would spoon feed her. Kara was pretty sure rich broth and sheer stubbornness alone were keeping Sam Arias alive. The energy in the Tavern and Inn had changed since Sam's arrival. Even the very air had become thick with tension as they all waited expectantly for something to happen.

On the third day after their arrival, Lena came rushing into the room during one of Alex and Kara's planning sessions. The three of them had found a sort of routine amongst their brand of controlled chaos. Alex and Kara would discuss potential courses of action in the common area, occasionally joined by Winn and/or James, while Lena would stay at Sam's bedside. It had become nigh on impossible to tear her away. The Danvers Sisters would fill their young queen in on their discussions during meal times as Alex would feed Sam.

Lena's eyes were blazing as she jolted to a stop in front Alex and Kara. "She woke up! Sam is awake!" Kara had spun to look at Lena as soon as she heard the woman rush into the room. At her words, Kara and Alex both jumped up and raced after Lena to Sam's room.

The young brunette's still pale pallor was somewhat better. She was propped up on some pillows and her eyes were half-open. Alex wordlessly began to check her pulse and eyes as she had been once every few hours since Kara and the others had brought Sam to them. Lena resumed her usual seat and Kara came up to stand beside her girlfriend.

"Hello there, Lady Samantha. I am Kara Danvers. Do you remember me?" Kara asked, drawing their patient's attention. Alex put a cup of water in Sam's hands as she fought to speak.

Sam nodded the affirmative and her eyes widened as she gulped down the water.

"You saved me from the dungeons and crushed the guards who brutalized me as though they were nothing." Sam's gaze was admiring and awed. "You did not even carry your sword."

"I would have but it would have been unfair to my opponents, and therefore dishonorable." Kara replied with a shrug, doing her best to not seem cocky. Her cheeks went a bit pink and she stared down at her feet to purposefully avoid Lena's eyes.

"Never mind my lovely girlfriend's ridiculous and idiotic heroics. How are you feeling?" Lena asked with an eye-roll. During Kara's retelling of that evening's events, she had omitted the fact she had gone into the fight for the most part empty-handed.

"Sore. Tired. Hungry." said Sam. "I thank you all for taking care of me. You, in particular, Ms. Danvers, for risking your life for me. It was a chance you did not have to take, but you did."

"When your life was put in danger almost wholly because of a decision I made, I knew this was something I would have to do. It was my duty to you and to my queen who cares much for you." Kara refused to take the credit she is due.

Lena started at the realization that Kara blamed herself. She reached up and took a hold of Kara with the hand not holding Sam's. "I have a balm I hope can help with the soreness and we have plenty of food, but please take your time." Alex instructed Sam. You have been asleep for the past three and a half days."

"You... you have been here too. I, I remember you." Sam's voice was hoarse and despite what Alex had just told her, attempted to shove herself up into more of a sitting position.

"Ah, uhm, yes, I have been doing my best to take care of you. As a young woman, I had dreams of becoming a doctor. The result was a very basic and very limited knowledge of medicine." Alex blushed and for the very first time, Lena was able to see a family resemblance between Kara and Alex. She was not surprised that the resemblance she found was simply the awkward blushing reaction to anything resembling a compliment. Lena chuckled quietly to herself at the similarity between the Danvers Sisters. "However, uhm, if you get to feeling ready to talk about what happened to you and anything you might have overheard, just let one of us know."

"I, uh, I will. Thank you, Ms..." Sam realizes that as well as she knows that face, she does not know the auburn-haired woman's name.

"Also Danvers. I am Kara's elder sister, Alex, which is what you may call me." she answered.

"If I might have a meal and a good long nap, we can continue this conversation later on?" Sam offers as her eyes fell closed and she sunk back into her pillows.

"I am glad you are alright, Sam. We can catch up more when you are rested and feeling better." Lena stood, bent and kissed Sam's forehead.

"Good night, Sam." Kara added and took Lena's hand. "We will see about getting you a lunch."

Alex followed after the other two and quietly shut the door behind her. She faced the women and the look on her face caused Kara concern.

"There is no way Lex intended her to live if he left her in that condition. Kara, you guys saved her life."