Part 58

or the one where Kara gives Lena an out  

-----/////-----

"Alright, my friends! Who is ready to start a war?!" Kara yelled from horseback at the very front of the line of young strong warriors, stirring them up. They all punched their fists into the air and shouted their agreements. She was wearing her new armor freshly cleaned and polished the night before, her sword thrust into the air, a silver glimmer to Lena who stood at the back.

Fear crept into the edges of her mind, seeing Kara so war-like and brash, but there was a pride in there as well, getting to seeing Kara lead. She did not have to command respect because of how she had earned it from them with her sweat, blood, and her good heart. Lena could not imagine anyone more deserving of it. She seemed confident and prepared for whatever may come. Lena had been doing her best to encourage the force in front of them as well. Lena felt so nervous and worried for her friends her heart could explode.

"Be ready! We will all be at the end of this soon!" Kara guided the horse back around, came to a halt and jumped down, passing the steed off to one of the younger men and jogged up to Lena. She pushed a lock of sweaty escaped hair out of her face and kissed Lena's cheek. "Are you ready?"

"I guess I have to be, right? We have come much too far to stop now." Lena said with a heavy and rather put out sigh.

Kara snapped to attention and turned to look more fully into Lena's face.

"That is not true at all." Kara said firmly and decidedly, pulling the other woman away from any potentially prying ears. "If you want to give all of this up and be done with it, I would not blame you in the slightest. I am here for you dearest, and that is that. You say the word and I will pack the two of us up to leave right now."

Lena softened then and melted on the inside. One would think she would have gotten used such devotion by now, but she was surprised every time. Kara cared for her so much, no matter what, even when Lena did not expect her to.

"No, no. I am staying. I fully intend to see this through." Lena corrected her almost immediately. "I... I only meant, on occasion, the pressure and the tension becomes a bit much."

Kara nodded in understanding and pulled Lena into herself once more. She kissed the top of the older woman's head and squeezed her shoulders.

"Again, I do wish we had had more time together. I love you, Lena Luthor." Kara said with a heavy and broken exhale.

"And I you." Lena leaned into the embrace and enjoyed the closeness.

After what felt like not nearly enough time, Kara found she could not delay any longer. She stared at Lena for a good long while. Kara just wanted to fill her eyes for a final time before she had to go. Unaware that their fellows could see them and that a few were watching out of the corner of their eyes; Kara took Lena around the waist, dipped her, and kissed her full on the mouth as though they had been dancing.

As Kara stood and she righted Lena, it was to the sound of scattered applause from their friends and some of Kara's trainees. A deep blush colored Kara's cheeks immediately. Lena, on the other hand, grinned happily and laughed, before taking a somewhat joking curtsy. Kara's cheeks went more fiercely red. Feeling as though she had to follow suit, Kara took a formal bow from the waist. Lena felt another rush of pride as she watched her girlfriend bow exactly as she had taught her.

"I will see you later, then?" Lena asked, turning back to Kara and looked meaningfully into her eyes. She resettles Kara's armor and cape.

"If I am allowed to have a say." Kara nods down at her, affection and concern in her eyes. "You know I will always do all I can to get back to you. Have you not yet learned it will take everything the world can throw at me to keep me away?"

"I am beginning to figure it out." Lena chuckled half-heartedly. "You have not let me down thus far. Do not start now, my love."

"I do not plan to." Kara said and fingered the hilt of her gladius, drawing Lena's eyes. Lena took note of the ribbon, smiled but made no comment. Kara kissed her once more and Lena watched as she walked away, shoulders set determinedly, as she strode back to join James, Winn, and Vazquez. The revolutionaries were ready to march to the castle.