Part 8

or the one where everyone is kinda confused  

Lena tossed the book back into her pillows and leaned against the doorframe.

"So, is there anything I can get you? Are you hungry, thirsty, in need of a change of clothing?" Lena asked. She wanted to do something to help but felt totally useless.

"Oh, she will definitely need a wardrobe overhaul. I have seen what she has brought and it is unacceptable for the court, especially by your standards, my lady." Maggie said in an almost teasing tone, taking special note of how Kara looked down and blushed.

"I am thinking reds and blues for formal attire. White shirts would look amazing with that golden brown skin tone. We will need to be sure to have plenty of hair ties available as well, and brushes as well. Can you think of anything else, Kara?" Lena asked as she looked at the other woman appraisingly.

"If I am to serve as your protection detail, my lady, I would prefer to remain in breeches as opposed to skirts such as yours if you would pardon my saying so?" Kara spoke carefully as though she were afraid to ask anything of Lena.

"Did you bring your own weaponry? Can I find anything else for you?" Lena asked, wishing she could somehow put the blonde at ease.

"I usually prefer the gladius to most other weaponry when I am given the choice, but I am competent in the use of a great variety, my lady. I was not allowed to bring any with me from the stadium, as none technically belonged to me. I have no rights to any belongings, lady." Kara said lowly; without looking up at the other women.

"Tomorrow I will escort you to the armory and you may have your pick of our stores." Lena said firmly. "You may take as much or as little as you like."

"L-Lady?" Kara asked in a tone of confusion.

"I do not believe that any person should be allowed to own another. For as long as you are in my service you will be taken care of as though you were any other employee of the house. As long as Lex or one of his spies does not catch us being too friendly, it will be okay." Lena said, her green eyes staring steadily into Kara's brilliant blues. "We could be friends, Kara. When my brother asks you to report on me, I am not going to ask you to lie. There are things I would like you to leave out, of course, but you will not have to lie. You can tell him I do not plot against him and I do not intend to usurp him. I am not a party to any schemes against his throne. While I may not approve all he does and I may not enjoy his company, I am complicit in no treason."

"No matter how he may deserve it." Maggie muttered when Lena finished.

Kara's eyes widened in response to Lena's words and she visibly started at Maggie's addition.

"H-how did you know?" Kara asked, her brows knitting together nervously. "Why would you let me in if you knew his Highness sent me to spy on you?"

"I make a conscious choice to trust people, Kara." Lena said as she set down the pen she had used to write down the shopping list she had been making for Kara. "I have nothing to hide from my brother, except how I detest his methods and his attitude towards his people and his position, and how I make friends of my servants. There are a few other things I would prefer he not know, but I am not a threat to him, no matter what he may think."

Kara did not quite know what to think of this princess she was meant to serve. She was beautiful and regal in a magnificent way. Lena Luthor was clearly brave and opinionated. She actually bothered to ask Kara questions as opposed to making a declaration and expecting them to be followed. Kara had not ever met anyone like her before.