Chapter 11

[A/N: *opens Wattpad and sees 3k reads* KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :* :* :* I cannot thank you guys enough for the love and support. Here's a big chapter dedicated to all you lovely people! <3 Love always, CrescentWolf101 <3]

***

Somewhere in America:

"Levi Ackerman has messed with us for the last time. Make sure the attack is precise and painful."

"Don't worry. I have already sent the perfect decoy for him. He'll be reduced to nothing soon enough."

***

Jean's entry into the house was slated to be around 4 o' clock but he had turned up 30 minutes before the appointment. Levi was pleased with the young man's timeliness. After a brief yet scathing interview, he was hired to take care of Emerald for the next few weeks. The boy still had a few sessions of physiotherapy left.

Levi had planned to stay cooped up in his study and meet the boy as less as he possibly could. Jean seemed like he was around Emerald's age. He was comically serious and Levi swore his face-cut was similar to an animal . . .

But he didn't care. Jean was a trained assassin and nurse. This time, Levi did a thorough background check even though he trusted the source that recommended Jean.

"Emerald is taking rest. I will make the introductions when he wakes up. You can acquaint yourself with the kitchen and make preparations for dinner. Do not venture around the house more than required. I'll be in my study."

"Yes, Mr. Ackerman."

Levi gave a brisk nod and walked toward his study. He had been in a crappy mood since last night. Although Emerald was well enough now and did not need a nanny, Levi was sure the boy wanted nothing to do with him anymore. Levi had overstepped his boundaries and scared the dear life out of him. He could not even guess the comparisons Emerald must have drawn between him and the Leonharts. Levi was much better than them of course but last night . . . he was just out of control. So Levi thought till he decided what to do with Emerald, he would hire someone to protect the boy and at the same time take care of him and give him company during physio.

***

He is . . . smiling . . .

Six days into the house and Jean had already taken over all the responsibilities. The boy would cook, clean, give Emerald his medicines, accompany him to walks around the house, you name it, all in record time. He was a complete contrast to Petra. A good contrast. Well . . .

It was hard for Levi to believe that they had hit it off so well given the first time he went to introduce Jean to Emerald, the latter was trying to jump of the window using a rope made of his blankets. Levi was shell-shocked at the sight but Jean stepped forward. He asked Levi to leave him alone with Emerald. Levi hesitantly left him only to have Emerald come out of the room blushing. This was only the beginning. For the next two days, whenever Levi saw Emerald, he was with Jean. They were either cleaning together or cooking together or watching a movie in Emerald's room.

Levi should have been happy that his ward was happy, but he just . . . wasn't. Although he had vowed to never leave his study until it was absolutely imperative, he found excuses to go to the kitchen, laundry room or even "accidentally" to Emerald's room. His heart still tugged when he watched Emerald blush and then they would make eye contact and the boy's face would just become poker straight. Disheartened, Levi would return to his study for a glass of scotch and stare at a wall till he came up with another excuse to leave the room to relive that heartbreaking cycle. As a result, he was buzzing in spirits round the clock.