Chapter 3

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that was a good one." It wasn't a sarcastic laugh. Shitty Glasses was leaning on her desk for support lest she fall on floor and die laughing. That bitch.

"Besides, Mr. Ackerman, since when did you switch lanes?"

Switched lanes, wtf!

"I have never done it with a guy." Levi said as coolly as he could.

"Oh yeah, and I am to believe that you will take my Emerald to what? Put him back on his feet? That too without wanting anything in return? You must take me for a fool if you think doing me two selfless favours would not make me suspect your intentions."

"What about the Leonharts' intentions? Do you care about that or are you more interested in over-reading a situation? Deal or no deal, you have five seconds to decide. Your time starts now."

"What will you do with him?"

"Four."

"Can I meet him regularly to check up on him?"

"Two."

"THAT'S NOT FAIR! YOU SKIPPED THREE!"

"One and Zer—"

"Oh fine. But if you harm a hair on his head, I will have you skewered."

"Last words of a defeated soldier?"

"I'm not defeated. Yet." She tilted her face and her glasses shone bright.

"It's a deal then. Have him brought over before dawn."

"You're keeping him at your place? And what happens to him when you go to work? You must know they are still looking for him."

"How did the brat escape? It must not have been easy. That was impressive."

"Is that why you are taking him? Because he is impressive?"

"My reasons have depths that you rat brain cannot process. So I suggest you stop egging me and do as you're told, Shitty Glasses. As for my end of the deal, here," Levi fetched a card from his wallet, "call this number tomorrow at sharp 1:04 pm and arrange for a meeting. If you know what's best, don't slack." Levi smirked and left the premises.

As soon as he reached home after a long painful drive, he made a few calls. Emerald would recuperate in Mikasa's room for the duration of his stay. A retired field agent was hired to attend to Emerald's every need till the boy was active enough to jump and run. Levi changed into his pyjamas and, before falling asleep, found himself thinking about what Hanji said. Had he switched lanes? If not, then why was he doing any of this? The answer came to him just as he pulled the blanket over his head.

His eyes. His mesmerising eyes.

***

"He still has a raging fever. You are pretty cold to want to relocate him at this hour knowing his condition."

If it was anyone else, they would know better than to take that tone with Levi Ackerman. But it was Hanji's sister who was here to make sure no harm came to Emerald in Levi's absence. Levi was all set to hire a retired CIA field agent but when he looked over Petra's credentials, he had to admit she was a better fit for the job. The woman had trained with the Corps and had actively served as a nurse for eight years. She had recently returned from serving her time when Hanji explained the situation to her. Levi was less than pleased to let Hanji take away the last say, but it would have to do for now.

However, that did not mean she got to talk to him anyway she liked.

"What's your name?"

"Petra."

"Petra? Okay here's the thing. You are here because I have let you. I am over-compensating your sister by helping her save her business while also taking on the expenses of the boy and your sorry ass. So the next time you have any complaints about the way I run things in my house, feel free to keep it to yourself or leave. Is that understood?"

His voice was like a crack of whip repeatedly hitting her senses. It was eerily calming like the silence before storm but it had certain violent undercurrents that told her to know her place and keep her mouth shut.

Emerald was unconscious when he was brought to Levi's place. Even when Petra and Reiner (he drove them) had him set up in Mikasa's room, the boy was out like a light. Reiner looked Levi in the eye one last time as if measuring him. The club members were very protective of each other. He was making sure if Emerald was safe here. Levi must have passed some unwritten test in his eyes for the blonde took his leave after a quick goodbye to Petra.

"You'll sleep in his room. An additional bed has been put there. The kitchen is down here. I guess you have been informed about his medications and his diet. I'll be going now. Don't let anyone in. My private number is in that diary. You will call me if anything out of the order happens." Levi walked to the main door and opened it.

Petra just stared at him, pissed off probably to be taking orders, but only nodded in response.

He stepped out of the house but before closing the door shut, he said, "Oh and one more thing, don't go exploring too much. I will know if you do."

~End of Chapter 3~

***