33. Mason

The few seconds that it takes for the call to connect, I contemplate hanging up four times. I don't know who this Mason is, and what he wants. He could be like James and only be contacting me for notoriety sakes, just to say that he has got somewhere with me. Is that what Nixon's doing? Is he only stringing me along, just to say to the other inmates that he fooled me for the longest? Do they have a bet? Is it a game to him? I don't get long to ponder on all my worries and thoughts, as I soon hear a click and then the deep baritones of a male voice comes through the phone.

"Is this Aphrodite?" Mason asks.

"Yes, and you're Mason," I reply. "Do you mind telling me how you came by my number?"

"Nixon told me to call you."

"Yes, but that doesn't explain to me how you got the information in the first place." I fall back, covering my eyes as I wait for his response. My number can't be readily available to the inmates.

"Oh, don't worry, Kit, your number's safe."

"You still-"

"You trust Nixon, right?" I don't answer him. I don't know how much Nixon's told him, or whether I can trust him with this information. He could go straight to the correctional officers with the information, hoping to get better treatment, and they can then go to Roman. I don't know much about him in the prison environment, I don't know his reputation, and whether he's trustworthy or not. When he understands that I'm not going to answer him, he continues. "Well, he trusts me. I'm his bucky."

He could be lying to me. I've never heard anything about his cellmate and their relationship, from Nixon. When I talked to him first and asked how he got along with his cellmate, he seemed like they got along alright. Then, when I asked Anthony about Nixon, I was told that Nixon would only talk to his cellmate. How do I even know that Mason is his cellmate?

I sit upright as if that would help me, and rest my head on my hand. I curse Roman internally for making me not able to trust people as easily as others, and it seems that criminals are the only people that I can trust these days.

"Look, I can understand you not feeling that you can trust me, I've given you no reason to other than my word that I know Nixon, but I can promise you that I am the only person with your number other than Nixon, he has a piece of paper with your number on it hidden in our cell. He would never let anyone else near it. As I said earlier, Nixon is the one who told me to call. I tried to arrange a visit with you, but I was told that you're not accepting any at the moment."

I let my hand slide down the side of my face, letting out a groan. How is Roman still controlling my life when I'm not in his? I have no other option other than to trust Mason at this moment.

"Ugh, yeah. I, um, am not at work currently, but you should have still had the chance to arrange a visit... so why did Nixon tell you to call?"

"He wanted me to apologize for how he reacted on his behalf. I don't know what for, but from what I gather he and you have been getting close over the past couple of weeks."

"Thanks." I bite my lip. He apologized. He may not be talking to me and told me directly, but it still means that he's willing to forgive me. I overstepped a line by going behind his back, looking into the case and him, and I was worried that I had lost his trust - hopefully, this means we'll continue the visits. I've enjoyed them, they're a distraction from Roman, and for the first time since I married Roman, it feels like someone is seeing the real me, not the facade and lies I put forward to the world. Nixon, within seconds, was able to tell that something was off. "I understand what he means... why didn't he contact me?" I mumble the last part, still not sure what will happen if I were to reveal too much information about Nixon and I's relationship. I don't know how close, close is to him.

"He's in the hole."

I move to the edge of my seat, as if ready to jump up and do something about it. That explains why he wouldn't have called or applied for a visit with me, that and Roman stopping inmates. "Why? What di-"

"Nix set the alarm off a couple of nights ago. I don't know why he just said that he needed to get your husband over here. He set a fire, and then when the CO came to investigate, he punched him, escaping temporarily, causing an uproar with the other inmates."

I take a minute to take in what he said before the words come out in a jumble.

"Wai-what... Hang on, Friday?"

"Uh, yeah, I think so."

I fall back into the couch cushions again. Nixon saved me from Roman. He saved my life. I don't know how, but he did, just when I needed him. I feel something warm and foreign that hasn't been felt in years, rising in my heart. I let something out akin to a scoff but in shock and admiration.

"Um, well, thank you for helping him. When I get back to work I'll try my best to get him out of the hole as soon as I can."

"Are you OK? I don't know what happened, but..."

"I'm getting there," I tell him, not wanting to give any more information.

There is a pause, and it begins to get awkward when we both don't know what else to say.

"Look, Kit, I've got to go, but Nixon really cares about you, you know.

"I want to answer him, but I get cut off by the phone call ending. I bring the phone down from my ear with a smile. After only speaking to him for a couple of minutes, I feel like I can trust Mason. He seemed like an OK guy for a criminal.

As for Nixon, someone who was only playing a game with me, or talking to me for a bet, wouldn't care enough to save me.

The door unlocks before it opens to reveal Piper. I calm my racing heart when I see that it's only her, expecting Roman or someone he sent. I wasn't expecting her home so early.

"Hey, girl, what's got you looking like you're riding on rainbows?" she asks, a happy smile on her face.

"Oh nothing," I reply, leaning forward and dropping my phone onto the table. Her smile drops as her eyes follow my phone down.

"Oh, don't tell me you're talking to-"

"No, I'm not talking to him, Piper. I just feel happy today," I say trying to smother a smile.

"Ok," she says dubiously her smile returned to her face. "Well, I'm in a good mood too. Mr. Woodley is sick, so guess who got to come home early, for the first time in forever."

I laugh, feeling somewhat normal, as I pretend to be concerned about her feeling happy about someone else's illness.

Glossary:

CO: This is an abbreviation used for Correctional Officer. Pop Quiz: What's the other term that has been used in the book for a CO? And if you can do it without checking, you get an extra point.

Sorry for the long wait. I promise the next wait won't be so long as I am working on getting an update up at least once a month (and I will be posting a part today on Radish) meaning I'll have the next part up in 4 weeks.

What did you think?

What will happen next?

Thanks for reading, voting, commenting, sharing, and following!

CC ;)