12. Advice

Not guilty.

I don't know what made me say it, but I know that because I did, I must feel that it's true. I try to ask the guards what is going on as they bundle us all out of the visitation center, but I don't know if they have heard me over the sirens. I sigh, getting frustrated, as they continue not to answer my questions. I pause from walking when we get out into the entrance hall. I ponder whether to go back to my office. I don't want to if I don't need to, so I bring my phone out, and send a text to Roman.

I don't know if you're back at work, but there is an alarm going off. What is it for?

His reply is short and precise: I am. Fire.

I decide against going back to the office, knowing Roman will be insufferable. Luckily, before today, we've never had a fire, or the fire alarm go off. I continue out of the prison, thinking back on the conversation I had with Nixon. I change conversations on my phone to Clayton's, typing out a message slowly with my left hand.

I need your amazing doctor skills.

I get a message back almost instantly telling me he'll come to mine in five minutes. I wait on the sidewalk, waiting for the cars to allow me across. So, if Nixon didn't kill his girlfriend and unborn child, then who did? No one should let an innocent man suffer in prison for something they did.

The cars eventually slow, allowing me across. I raise my hand at them as I cross, silently thanking them. I pull the keys out of my bag and push them into the door when I get to it. I close the door behind me, but don't bother to lock it as Clayton is going to be here any minute. I sit down on the couch, resting my head. My wrist is really bothering me now.

When I hear Clayton's knock, I call to him that it's open. He extends his hands, one of them holding his medical bag.

"Don't fear, the amazing doctor is here." I smile at him. "So how can I be of assistance?"

I lift my left arm up to show him the bruise.

"Hm. Don't tell me, you fell down the stairs," he states, his hands on his hips, not hiding his disbelief. I bite my lip, as I nod. He rolls his eyes, but picks my wrist up tenderly.

"Tell me what hurts," he orders, as he presses around my bruised area. I inhale sharply at the pain with each press.

"Telling usually includes talking," he tells me with a small smile. I press my lips together to suppress a smile, but I quickly stop when he presses down on my wrist again. Eventually, Clayton stops and pulls back with a sigh.

"Have you been taking any painkillers? This must be hurting you."

I shake my head.

He chuckles, shaking his head. "Well, it doesn't feel like it's broken, luckily, but it's most likely sprained. I'll strap it up and if it doesn't get any better, after you've taken painkillers, and let time try to heal it, then let me know and I'll have another look. I'll maybe even have to take an x-ray."

I nod. He reaches into his bag bringing out a bandage. He moves my hand until he can wrap it around my wrist. Trusting him, I ask for his opinion.

"Clay, let's say if an inmate in the prison thought they were innocent, and you agreed, what would you do? Would you let an innocent man suffer, or would you try to find out who really committed the crime? Or neither? Hypothetically speaking, of course," I quickly add at the end when I see his face.

"Hypothetically, I wouldn't do anything. I would hope that someone else would help them out. But I know you, so if I were you, I would try and find out if they were telling the truth, and then if you had proof that said that it was someone else, and not the inmate, you could then give it to someone who could do something with it."

He looks right into my eyes, knowing I will do what he says. Then he looks back down at my half-bandaged hand before continuing. "Don't waste your hypothetical time though."

"Hm."

I think over what he said. Where do I start?

Glossary (From Last Chapter):

SSOB: SSOB stands for, drum roll please, Sorry Son Of a Bitch. They used it as a sneaky way to insult the guards without them knowing. (as I said in the last chapter). Did any of you guess that or something similar?

Here you go! I hope you liked it!

What did you think?

What will happen next?

Thanks for reading, voting, commenting, sharing, and following!

CC ;)