25. Information

I stand in front of the hob, my hair piled up onto the top of my head and my clothes casual, as I stir the pot which is simmering.

Although I had told myself that I would leave Nixon alone until he came to find me when he was ready, and after the dream last night, I still searched for him in the group of inmates. I bite my lips when I remember the visit I had with Anthony earlier.

I smile at him through the glass, holding the phone to my ear.

"How are you?" he asks, noticing my bandaged wrist.

"Good, Roman's ill so I'm tired. What about you?" I ask trying to get the subject of conversation off me.

"The same as always, nothing really changes inside here," he comments. I breathe in and hold it there, trying to get up the courage to lead this conversation on to where I might be able to get some answers. I knew that I would leave Nixon alone, but the yearning for answers has only grown stronger.

"Well, that's not true, you get new people every so often," I say, trying to be nonchalant.

"Like that one you had your eyes on..." he replies, his eyes glinting. I splutter, thinking of how to reply.

"I- Uh- I was- I just didn't recognize him," I try to explain. He chuckles.

"You don't have to lie to me, DeeDee," he tells me. I feel my stomach roll at the nickname.

"I'm not!" I insist louder than intended. He chuckles again, but before he can rub me any further I cut in.

"They must have some interesting stories..." I venture. I see Anthony narrow his eyes, but he rubs a hand down his face before answering.

"Not really, some of them brag about stories, while others keep to themselves. Take the guy you saw, we don't know what he did other than kill a person. Whenever someone brags about what they did, or just annoys him, he'll grunt at them 'shut up or I'll kill you. I've done it before'. The only person who he seems to confide in is his bucky." I sit back in the chair, but keep a smile on my face.

"He sounds delightful," I try and joke, my mind spinning, trying to figure out what I can get from what I just heard.

I flinch out of the memory, not expecting the scrape of a chair. Roman was feeling, and looking, considerably better today, and I don't know how I feel about that. If he's more normal that means he'll be on form with questioning me, and Piper, tonight. I stare down at the minced beef and tomato concoction, willing the impossible, for it to swallow me up so I don't have to face Roman with Piper, so I don't have to face my feelings for a man who with everyday I feel more certain that his conviction of homicide was right. The mixture however keeps simmering, and I keep stirring, hoping that Roman will sense that I'm busy and will leave me alone.

"DeeDee, are you going to just stand there or are you going to get me a beer?" he asks. Why should it happen now, if my level of business has not stopped him before? I sigh, placing the spoon down, and turning to him.

"I don't think that's a good idea, your still re-"

"I don't care. I need something to get through your's and Piper's constant blabbering," he tells me snidely. I bite back a response that he could get it himself, and move to the fridge, taking out a beer and giving it to Roman. As I walk back to the stove, I glance at the time, noting that Piper will be here in around ten minutes. I turn the hob down even further, before wiping my hands on my pants.

"Piper's going to be here soon, so I'm going to change," I let Roman know as I walk past him and out of the kitchen. I hear him grunt what I assume to be an acknowledgement as I walk past the couch. I rush up the stairs, changing into something a bit more presentable, and taking my hair down from the clump on the top of my head. I try to get the tangles out, and just give up when I hear the doorbell ring. I wait to see if Roman will go and get it but sigh when I realize he's not going to budge. I rush back down the stairs, collecting myself for a moment, before I open the door with a smile.

Piper, still in her dress clothes, and her dark hair still tied up, returns my smile as she lifts her arms which are carrying her bag and a bottle of wine up. I walk forwards and return her hug as a greeting.

"Smells delicious," she comments as she walks past me and into the house. I thank her as she turns back to me. "This is for you," she says passing me the wine bottle. I thank her again telling her to make her way to the kitchen. I close the front door as I hear Piper greet Roman.

"Hi Ro, long time no see."

"Yeah, it'll be good to catch up with you. I'm sure you will have some great information," he tells her, turning on the good husband façade. I make my way into the kitchen, wanting to get this over with before it's even begun.

Here you go! Sorry for the wait again!

I hope you liked it!

What did you think?

What will happen next?

Thanks for reading, voting, commenting, sharing, and following!

CC ;)