16. Lunch and Suspicions

The cafe we choose is a small, out of the way place. As soon as we walk in, we were greeted by a cheery man behind the counter, who tells us to sit down where we want, and call him when we are ready to order. I look around to see that we are the only ones in here, apart from a woman in the corner on her laptop. We choose a table by the front, the sun streaming through the big window next to us.

"Is Roman still the warden at Boston Correctional Institution? I was always surprised that he didn't have to work up through the ranks," Scott says.

"Yeah, you know Roman. He always gets what he wants, no matter what stands in his way," I respond, keeping my focus on the laminated piece of A4 in front of me.

I'm afraid if I look up he'll see that it's sometimes me that stands in his way, causing him to lash out to get his way. Scott lets out a chuckle, agreeing with me. Silence falls upon us again; it's like we've only just met, and not known each other for years. I chew the inside of my cheek as I look at the different options. My eyes move across to look at the prices. It's a mixture of not wanting Scott to pay a lot, and the rule that has been drilled in by Roman:

"Choose something cheap, I'm not wasting our money on something that you only enjoy momentarily."

With both of our wages, Roman's being a lot more; piled together we should have enough to survive each month after taxes and mortgages, with a bit extra. However, this is not the case, because whenever I look at our bank balance, it says that we are barely getting by.

My stomach grumbles as I read all the delicious sounding delicacies, but quickly get dismayed when I see the price. I let my shoulders drop, turning the page over so I don't change my mind.

"Know what you want?" Scott asks. I nod. He waits expectantly, but when I don't carry on, he continues.

"What?"

"I was going to see if I could have an appetizer as a main."

He surveys me, before responding.

"You sure? I heard your stomach growling." I give him a reassuring smile.

"Yeah," I lie.

"Come on, I know you're hungry. Price is not a problem, my treat," he encourages. I go back to chewing my cheek as I battle myself on whether I should. A real smile comes onto my lips as I pull the menu back to me, flipping it over. He returns the smile.

Ten minutes later, we have both decided, and have ordered our lunch along with a couple of drinks. I try to ignore Roman's voice, but in the end, he wins a small victory as I end up not ordering the dish I really wanted, but my second choice, a pasta salad, which is cheaper. Even though the silence is already profound, when the girl in the corner stands up with her laptop, calling out goodbye to the man in the back before walking out, it becomes even more overwhelming. I clear my throat, trying to think of something. It looks like Scott is doing the same. We both open our mouths at the same time, coming out with a new topic of conversation, but quickly stopping when we realize the other is talking. I blush.

"You go first," I offer.

"No, it's not important. What were you going to say?" he counters, looking slightly glad that I was coming up with something.

"So, you're engaged?" His eyes light up as he nods enthusiastically. I was right, he really loves her.

"Yes. We haven't planned anything, but we want to do it next June. You and Roman should come, along with Piper, if you're still in contact with her," he suggests.

"I'd like that," I say, staying vague, knowing I can't promise anything. Roman will probably make up an excuse to get out, or would he if he knew it was Scott? "I know Piper would be thrilled to see you again."