48. Sappy Reunions

I run ahead of the waitress and just hope that we're actually going to the table I think, and it's not a sick coincidence. My parents stand at the sigh of me, and when I stretch my arms out for a hug, my mom mirrors me and engulfs me in one of her warm hugs. I clutch onto her, and I feel my shoulders shake as I sob into her shoulder. I don't know what she must think. Standing here with my taller mother transports me back to being a kid, and coming to her when I was having troubles. I only wish I had been able to do that ever since marrying Roman. What would she have said?

What does she think about me not coming to see her? What did Roman say to her? Upon finally detaching from my mom, I find that her eyes are glazed with tears, and it makes me feel sadder. If Roman was here, would he be ok with me crying, or would he think it would suggest that something was wrong with my parents? I'd like to think that the "new Roman" would understand.

I turn to my dad standing next to her, and he reaches for me pulling me firmly into a suffocating hug. Before my face is crushed into my dad's shoulder, I catch a glimpse of my dad's face, who looks to be in a similar state to my mom, distress wise.Once all the sappy reunions have been had, I sit down in the seat the waitress was patiently waiting to offer me. When I am sitting, the waitress slides me a menu and tells us all that she's be back soon to collect our orders.

I hope that it's not too soon, because by the way my emotions are behaving right now and the sight of my parents sitting opposite me, there'll be more crying from all of us.

"Roman?" my mom questions.

"He had to work," I apologize on behalf of him. I murmur the next sentiment, not sure if it's actually true. "He sends his love."

"Aw, that's a shame," my mom says fondly, looking over her menu. I look between them, taking note of every feature, and how it's changed, not sure when I'll get to see them next.

My father still looks like how I've always known him. The amber eyes, like my own, are now framed with more etches in his skin, and the ones that were already there are more defined. His skin is starting to sag, and the strawberry has gone from his blonde hair, leaving it blonde or white depending on where you look.

My mom looks every the same, and I can tell from her roots that her blonde hair has been touched up over the years, trying to cling to the remnants of youth. Her face has filled out more, from what I remember, and her crow's feet that I always associate with my mom and her constant cheerful state, have deepened. Her brow, above her bright green eyes, also holds some wrinkles now, and I wonder if that is from not seeing me. I start to feel guilty, so look down at the menu in front of me. So much time has passed. They could very well be completely new people, doing new things.

I expect for us to chatter and talk as if I never left, asking each other about life and everything else, or at least continue to cry, but the table has an awkward silence to it which makes me feel even sadder. I try and hide my eyes behind the menu, feeling angry and hurt.

The waitress comes back soon enough and I haven't had a chance to look at any of the words on my menu in front of me. Her smile is cheery, oblivious to the tension at the table, or at least hiding it well if she can feel it.

"What can I get you?" she asks.

"You decided, sweetie?" my mom asks in her normal caring tone.

"Uh... you go first," I say, raking my eyes over the menu quickly, finding my eyes flicking to the price tag before the actual item, as per usual.

I end up picking the cheapest item, Roman still firmly in my ear preaching about how wasteful it is to pay for a meal.

What did you think?

Do you think Aphrodite and her parents' relationship will be ok?

What do you think will happen next?

Thanks for reading, voting, commenting, sharing, and following!

CC ;)