2. A Blast From The Past

I lift myself up onto the seat next to the man, looking him over. When I finish my assessment of him, I want to get back up and walk away as fast I can. Someone like him, with his looks, wouldn't even give me a second glance. Obviously Piper was wrong about him looking at me. I am about to apologize when he beats me to it, by speaking first.

"Hi," he simply says, but the grin on his face and his greyish green eyes wandering over my body, tells me that maybe Piper was right after all. My confidence rises and I return his smile.

"Hi," I reply. "Thanks for the drink."

"I hope you like it, I asked the bartender for the pinkest drink he could make," he explains. I let out a small giggle. Roman hasn't made me laugh in a long time.

"You looked at me and immediately thought I was a pink drink girl?" I ask. He chuckles, shrugging.

"I thought it would be a safe bet. So, can I know your name?" I look down into my drink, deciding what to do. I hate giving my name, because I always get a detailed look over and then they judge on whether they think name is suitable. Roman never uses my real name; he's explained to me that it's misleading and gives the wrong impression about me because I'm, and I quote, 'hideous.'

I sigh, and finally relent.

"Aphrodite," I tell him.

"For a beautiful girl like you, it's very appropriate. I'm Rex by the way."

I blush and tuck a piece of hair behind my ear. He doesn't mean that, he's probably just trying to get me into his bed, which, I must admit, is working. But before I can entertain the thought any further, a picture of Roman forces its way into my mind. I put the drink down on the bar and push it towards him. I begin to fiddle with the ring on my left hand.

"I'm sorry, Rex, but I'm married. You can have the drink back; give it to someone who will be able to reciprocate your feelings," I tell him, smiling gently so he knows I'm genuine. He shrugs and lets out a disappointed sigh.

"Oh well, it doesn't matter. You can keep the drink," he tells me kindly.

"Thank you. You're a great guy, I'm sure you will find the right woman for you." I respond, standing up.

"Your husband's a lucky guy."

I wish Roman thought that too. I walk back to Piper who is on the phone.

I plop down onto the chair opposite her. She looks exasperated and ready to throttle someone. It must be her boss. I take my first sip of the drink – it's good, not too sweet. I turn around in my chair and look over to Rex. He's looking around, so I catch his attention. He raises an eyebrow quizzically. I give him a thumbs up. He grins and nods his head once, showing he's pleased. Piper lets out a groan, which makes me turn back to her. She reaches for her glass and gulps it all down.

"That bad?" I ask sympathetically. She rolls her eyes.

"I'm sorry, but I have to go. He's called me in. After all, I have to do what he says, because he's a man," she explains sarcastically, gathering her bag up. I stand up with her. She gives me a small smile.

"It's okay. I understand," I reassure her. She pulls me into a hug.

"I'll call you tomorrow and we'll reschedule."

I nod. She pulls back and says goodbye before walking off, bringing the phone back up to her ear. I hear snippets of her conversation, over the hubbub of the terrace.

"Yes... Could I get a taxi...?" The last of the sentence is cut off by her entering the elevator.

I groan when I realize I shouldn't be driving home and when I look into my purse I see that I don't have enough for a taxi. I quickly finish my drink, not wanting to waste Rex's money, before starting on my way to the elevator. I'm probably too late to catch up with Piper. I can't call Roman; he doesn't have a car because he says it's a waste of money when I have my old one, and when the place he works is just across the road.