•TWENTY NINE•

Word Count: 2458

***

  It was now about three weeks since Valentine's Day and it was spring break. Claire and Gavin had come over for the week.

  Me, my mom, Claire, and Gavin were sitting in the couch, watching Naked and Afraid, when the doorbell rang. My mom stood up going tot he door while the rest of us stayed. I glanced at Claire, seeing the slight terror in her eyes.

  When my mom didn't return quickly, I stood up, along with Claire and Gavin to see what the holdup was. When we arrived at the door, there stood a military official, with his cap in his hand by his side. He had the same, straight face every officer held, but there was something different with his. He held an apologetic and sorriness in his eyes. I noticed my mom already had tears flowing freely down her cheeks, and that's when everything fell into place. I felt everything go numb and my heart rip.

  "Hello ma'am. My name is Officer Peterson, and I'm here with the devastating news, that, your husband, Brody Jake McKnight passed away yesterday while in war." He told us, his voice staying strict, without wavering. He glanced back at me, giving me a small sorry look.

  My mom broke into sobs, as I felt tears falling on my cheeks. I looked at my mom, before I spoke to the officer.

  "Thank you for informing us sir." I muttered, my voice breaking before he nodded, saluting us. My heart ripped further, as I hastily put my hand up to my forehead, shakily. He put it down, before turning away and leaving. I shut the door, as we all fell tot he ground in heaps.

  Me, mom, and Claire all crying, as Gavin tried to comfort Claire as well he could.

  I was sitting in my room, numb, staring at the four walls, as tears stained my face. When the door opened, I didn't move. I just sat there.

  "Hey." Marcus whispered, as he sat next to me gathering me into his arms. He held me close, as I closed my eyes, letting my tears slide down my cheeks. He kissed the top of my head, lifting me into his lap. My back rested against his hard chest, and his arms were wrapped around my stomach.

  "I miss him so much. I didn't even get to say goodbye." I mumbled, tears surfacing once again. He sighed, putting his head in the crook of my neck.

  "I know. I know." He whispered, as he took a hold of my hand, running his thumb over my palm. "I would say it will all be okay, but I know it will take you a long, long, long time to come to full realization about this. A piece of you had just left. But, I'm always going to be here for you, no matter what. I promise." He spilled out to me.

  I was crying all over again, as I looked up into his eyes. His too, were red from what I assume to be crying. Marcus always though if my dad as his second dad, and with him gone, he's going to hurt too. I would try my hardest to comfort him, but for right now, I needed him.

  But for now, I'm grateful he's here with me.

  "You don't have to pretend Marcus. I know it hurts you too." I mumbled, as he held me tighter. I felt him nod, as he started to let his tears come down.

  "He was like my dad." He mumbled. I turned my self in his lap, so I was facing him, and wrapped my arms around his neck.

  "I love you." I whispered. He sent a weak grin, pressing his lips to mine. It wasn't passionate, nor was it hungry. It was, a slow, sensual kiss. One that showed he was here for me and I was there for him. A kiss that showed, we truly loved each other.

  After we found out my dad passed away, my mom got to work on the funeral. It was set for tonight, a week after my dad passed, and I was not ready.