•TWENTY ONE•

Word Count: 2853

***

  "Want should I wear?" I complain to Naomi trough FaceTime. She laughs, coming into view. "It's our last game and I promised Marc I would dress cute." I whine, shuffling through my clothes, again. I finally find my over sized white sweater and grin.

  "Oooh. I like that." Naomi grins, straightening her hair. I nod, going back.

  "How about my black ripped jeans with my white converse and a white beanie." I say pulling everything out. I put it on, and grin at my self.

  "Freaking perfect!!" Naomi squeals as she places Wyatt's food in front of him. "Ten minutes." She instructs as he pouts.

  "You're so good with him." I say, getting my back pack to go down stairs. I have an extra 20 minuets today. YES!

  "I know, anyway. I have to go get him to school. Bye!" She waves hanging up. I put my phone down and go to get breakfast. My mom is sitting at the table, glued to her computer. I look over her shoulder and see a bunch of clothing designs.

  "I like it." I say, grabbing a bowl of fruit. She jumps at my voice, but then relaxes and smiles.

  "Thanks." She says before returning to her work.

  20 minuets later, Marcus pulled up into my driveway, and I was climbing into her passenger seat and we were off to school.

  "Ready for your last football game?" I ask, punching his shoulder. He laughs, nodding.

  "Yes. We're going to kill it today!!" He says, fist pumping the air.

  "Think you'll make it to championship?" I ask, as we pull up to our school.

  "I hope so." He says. "We haven't down that since our dads played." He said, walking into the building. The entire football team was waiting, as when he walked in, they all grabbed him. They started chanting and carrying him a round. I laughed, following. Once they put him down, he almost lost his balance, but I put my hands on his shoulders to steady him.

  "Thanks." He said, chuckling, before looking at me. We were so close, I swear he could hear my racing heart. I felt him playing with my sweater, pulling me slightly closer. Everyone and everything seemed to disappear when we were this close. His fingers gently brushed my cheek, sending shivers down my spine.

  "Uhum." Someone cleared their throat. Marcus as I broke from our trance to look beside us to see Naomi, slightly disheveled for this morning, with Luke who had his arm around her waist.

  "PDA." Luke said, as I instantly blushed. Marcus began laughing slightly, as he pinched my butt, discretely, but it shocked me. I looked up at him to be smirking. Everything once again disappeared and all that was left was Marcus as me. He let go of me and I fell from my happy place, filled with slight disappointment. The bell indicating for us to head to our designated class assignments for the pep rally rang and we all split up.

  I sat quietly in my room, waiting to be dismissed.

  "All students may now head to the field." The principal said over the announcement. Everyone stood up and ran to the field. We all found our seats, and I was up front with Naomi and Luke. The cheerleaders were right in front of us, and the door where the team came out of was also there. Everyone was loud and the band was playing our fight song.

  "Please welcome, your Fighting Rangers!!" The announcer said. Our team came running out and everyone stood. I scanned each one of them searching for Marcus. When I spotted him, I grinned. That grin was quickly replaced when Haley grabbed his arm and kissed him. I froze in place, my heart shattering. I ran from the field, down the hall, and to the one place I knew I could go for comfort.