23. 2 Weeks Of Sleep

A/N I hope you like this one, even if it's slightly sad, but there are still some funny parts in between the sad stuff, so I hope you like it. 😋

'Where am I? What the fuck happened?' I thought as I struggled to keep my eyes open in a pitch black room. My gaze was blurry and unfocused as my eyes adjusted to the darkness around me.

Beep. Beep. Beep. What is that noise?

I glanced around trying to find the annoying beeping, and my eyes landed on a blurry heart monitor.
The red line was erratically spiking, and beeping every time the line spiked; alerting everyone around me that I was still alive.

"Ethan, you need to calm down and rest," came the soft, familiar voice of a nurse.

Why? Why do I need to calm down and rest, though?

"Why? What happened?" I asked in a dry, raspy whisper, the oxygen mask on my face muffling my voice even more than it already was, so I had no idea how she even heard me.

"Shhh, everything will be explained tomorrow, but right now you need to rest," she murmured gently.

"But..." I trailed off, the words dying on my tongue.

"There, that'll make you sleepy enough till morning," the nurse murmured to herself more than me.

Wait! What the fuck did she...?

My thoughts even trailed off as my eyes drifted closed, and I felt my heart start slowing down.

"Good, now just sleep. It'll all make sense in the morning," was the last thing I heard before I fell into a deep sleep again.

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

"No, I don't know how much longer I'll be off work..." My blurry, unfocused mother was pacing back and forth and talking a mile a minute to whoever was on the other end of her phone.

I glanced around at the blurry white walls of the hospital room, trying to get my gaze to focus; wondering how long I'd been out for.

I didn't even remember why I was here. Or what the hell happened, but I wanted answers, and apparently that nurse wouldn't allow me to get them last night, so I would get them today. Now, actually.

"Mom," I said weakly as I tried to sit up, and managed to get halfway upright before I gave up and fell back against the hard hospital bed.

Mom immediately stopped talking, her jaw dropping open as she stared at me speechless; all of the color draining from her face.

"Coffee delivery man is here," dad said nonchalantly as he strode into the room with a cardboard drink carrier with 2 large coffee's in it.

"What?" he asked as he saw mom's shocked expression.

"Oh, my God... He's awake," mom whispered, still staring at me wide-eyed.

Dad spun around and his jaw dropped open as he noticed me silently blinking at them confused. Why are they so surprised that I'm awake?

"Go get Dr. K," mom ordered as she took the coffee from dad.

"Yeah...right," Dad said distractedly as he turned around and jogged out of the room.