12. First kisses And Flirting

"Hey, I'm glad to see you're awake," Dr. K said cheerily as she came into my room.

Awake was a bit of a stretch. More like "barely conscious," honestly, and extremely pissed off.
Any time someone bothered me, I practically bit their head off over something as simple as what I wanted to eat, or drink.
It wasn't quite the best way to talk to my friends and family who were just trying to help, but obviously, my cold infected body decided being nice wasn't a necessity.

"How are the meds working? Are you feeling better today?" Dr. K asked.

I bit back a groan as I sat up, deciding I should at least answer her questions. "I guess, and barely," I responded simply, wanting nothing more than for her to leave.

She nodded and wrote something down on -I'm assuming- my chart, then she turned
to mom. "I'm going to up the dose of his antibiotics and see if that helps him."

"Okay, whatever will help him feel better because he's been a real pain in the you-know-what to take care of here lately," mom responded, a smirk pulling at her lips as she glanced pointedly at me.

Dr. K laughed and replied, "I know. He's been quite cranky to me as well, but that's understandable. Who's actually nice when they're sick, right?"

"Cranky is an understatement, more like unbearable." Mom grinned at me mischievously.

"Oh, come on. I haven't been that bad," I interrupted, only half serious.

Mom and Dr. K both turned to me, and gave me the same 'yes, you have' looks.

A felt a hot burn creeping up the back of my neck, as I realized I was acting like a complete asshole lately. I technically had an excuse as I felt like complete shit, but taking my anger out on everyone around me was really douchy.

"Yeah...sorry..." I awkwardly scratched the back of my head, my face ablaze with embarrassment.

"It's fine, Eath. Just maybe tone down the attitude a little," mom teased, a wide smirk on her face.

I didn't think it was possible for my face to get any hotter -not only because of my fever but because of my embarrassment- but it did.
I awkwardly slid back down in bed, hoping Dr. K would leave for a different reason this time.

"I'm gonna go grab your new dose of antibiotics. Is there anything you want before I go?" Dr. K's lips were twitching as she struggled to keep her composure.

"No. I'm good, thanks," I swiftly replied.

She nodded, then turned around and walked out, quietly closing the door behind her.

I hoped the extra dose of meds would make me feel better because I was so tired of feeling like complete crap the last few days, hell the whole week, honestly.
I felt like shit before I even went to the hospital, and now that I'm stuck here -again- I still don't feel better.

"I'm back, asshole," Abby announced with a wide smirk as she closed the door -not so- quietly.

"Damn, close the door a little louder next time," I muttered.

Abby glanced at the door, then back at me with a 'whoops' look and a shrug. "Yeah, wouldn't want to bother your neighbors. Considering we're in a hotel and all," Abby said slyly, then glanced pointedly at mom.

A blush stained mom's cheeks as she muttered, "My God, you kid's never forget anything."

Abby burst out laughing as I remarked, "We forget all kinds of shit. Just nothing that hilarious."

"I swear. Kids live to embarrass their parents," mom sighed.

"Well, I guess it's payback for you and dad embarrassing Drew and me all the time," I retorted with my own smirk tugging at my lips.