With a huge leap, you avoid a small trunk resting on the forest's floor and as you do, you see two shadows flashing on your right and one on your left. Clenching your jaw painfully, a muffled scream erupts from your lungs as you push yourself even further.

If you were running deeper inside the forest or towards a highway like the ones surrounding the forest, you knew not. If you cared? Tremendously. You sincerely hoped you weren't running further inside the lair of the beasts chasing after you, that you weren't unknowingly leading yourself towards your death. Because in the hands of those creatures, in the hands of the monsters chasing after you, all orange flashes and painted frowns and feminine mask features, you knew that nothing more than a murderously painful death awaited you. Oh God, make the nightmare end! Where is the exit?! Where is salvation?! When can you finally find a sanctuary away from this nightmare?!

The forest gets denser and denser in front of you, forcing you to raise your hands to protect your face from the branches and foliage getting in your way. Some tear painfully at your hands like whips and you savagely bite down on your lip to prevent yourself from crying out; immediately, a metallic taste pinches your senses and you realize you bitten down with more power than expected. Still, you keep running forward, eyes fixated on the elusive horizon and trying to make out any little shadow that could mean your pursuers were finally gaining in on you. The part of the forest you were currently in was a lot deeper than before and the bright, silver moonlight was unable to penetrate the rich canopy of trees, leaving you alone to evade every single protruding root and branch with whatever your eyes could make out; with disastrous results as your torn knees revealed. Gazing around you for a single moment, you realize you were alone; the heavy footsteps and the small grunts were not reaching your ears and the shadows were no longer after you. Good.

With a leap, you jump down into a trench, next to a huge root of a cedar tree and in a desperate need for a small break forced upon you by your quivering knees and murderously painful tightness in your chest, you come to a stop; your head ejects upwards and you strain to hear any sound that would indicate your enemies were upon you. There was none; the entire forest stood eerily still, as if it was holding its breath and not even the natural sounds of the leaves sifting lazily on the faint wind coursing through them or the night creatures venturing around the rich flora was nowhere to be heard. Strange, but you'd ponder over it on another time when your life wouldn't be dangling off a thin thread. Unceremoniously, you drop to your knees on the ground and crawl your way under the protective root, hugging your knees to your chest and opening your mouth as far as it would go, leaning it back and inhaling through it; it was surely a strange image to see, but it was the only way to make your breathing almost disappear from any vigilant ear looming around. It nullified every little sound you produced. Your face was drenched in sweat and blinking, you realized that tears were cascading your (e/c) eyes; at which point you started crying you knew not neither cared. All you cared about was getting the fuck out of here asap.

Last thing you remembered from tonight, was going to sleep in your small apartment. Taking a long and relaxing shower, you dried yourself off and changed into your comfortable pajamas, tucking yourself safely under your covers and throwing a last glimpse outside the window before turning the lights off; it was getting colder and colder this time of the year and you wouldn't be surprised if it snowed anytime soon. Sleep was fast to envelop you and apart from the strange mark appearing (an O with an X running though it) nothing seemed amiss inn your relaxing dreams. Until your senses alerted you of a strange coldness enveloping your body; sifting lazily, you reached out for your covers which were nowhere to be found.