Special Pet Part 20

Start from the beginning

    "Is she learning them?" Mepo asks.

    "She's learning. It just takes her a while. She finds it very difficult to obey me if she really wants to do something else. She has learned a lot of words already. She has also learned to communicate by pointing to objects and by making wax markings on flat plant material," Quigor says.

    "How long have you have you had Margaret?" Mepo asks.

    "A few weeks. How long have you had Emily?" Quigor asks.

    "About two years. Emily is very intelligent and a fast learner," Mepo says.

    "That's good. I love having Margaret. She is so curious and so much fun to watch. She likes to be held and enjoys trying to speak to me and playing with me too. She makes a wonderful pet, and I think she will be a very good friend for Emily," Quigor says.

    Emily calls to her owner. "Come!"

    Margaret also calls to her owner. "Come!"

    The aliens go over to the cage holding the pets. Margaret is holding a drawing of the beach. Emily points to the drawing and says "Margaret Emily come play water?"

    The aliens look at each other. They look at the pets. They speak to each other for a while.

    Quigor speaks to Margaret. "Okay. Emily Margaret play water."

    "Water?" Margaret asks.

    "You know, like the beach. I used that word for beach," Emily tells Margaret in English.

    "You mean we can go?" Margaret asks in English.

    "Margaret Emily come play water?" Emily asks Mepo.

    "Yes, Emily. Margaret Emily play water," Mepo tells her kindly.

    "I need to get Margaret's swimsuit," Quigor tells Mepo.

    "That's fine. I can watch the pets while you go get it for her," Mepo says.

    Quigor leaves to get Margaret's swimsuit. The humans look at Mepo expectantly.

    "Quigor get Margaret's clothes. Quigor come back," Mepo tries to explain to Emily.

    "I think your owner went to get your swimsuit. Don't worry, they're coming back. Want to play with my doll house while we wait?" Emily says to Margaret in English.

    "Sure!" Margaret says to Emily.

    The girls go play with Emily's dollhouse.

    Quigor returns with Margaret's swimsuit in about half an hour. They also brought along her highchair in case they eat supper with their friend.  

    Mepo opens the door of Emily's cage and the humans come out. Quigor quickly picks Margaret up while Emily walks to Mepo's bathroom, already in her swimsuit.

    Mepo goes out to the backyard to retrieve Emily's sand toys for the girls to play with on the beach.

    Quigor holds Margaret, waiting for their friend to return so they can ask where to dress their pet.

    "Play Emily!" Margaret cries. 

    "Yes, Margaret. It's okay, Margaret," Quigor says gently, petting her softly. 

    "Margaret clothes water," Emily tells Quigor.

    "Yes, Emily. Margaret water clothes," Quigor patiently tells Emily, not understanding that Emily is asking them to put Margaret down and let her get dressed.