May 5, 2026

Sarah

"So he is just drinking milk, like cows or other mammals." I said.

Alex nodded. I unlatched Leon, who was quickly drifting off to sleep. "Here Jessica, sit up tall."

She shifted and smiled widely, holding her hands out for the baby. As I laid him down, she looked up at me for a long moment. "Auntie, how did Leon get from your tummy to out here?"

I gulped. "Well, uhm, I suppose you could say God helped me get him out here."

"But how?" She pressed.

I coughed loudly. "Maybe we should ask daddy--"

"No!" Kyle shouted from the kitchen.

I sighed, and smiled at her. "Should I tell them?" I called to him.

"Just tell them to only ask you about it." He said. Such a coward. I thought.

"Okay guys... I'll try my best, but you can't talk to daddy about it. He's not as smart as I am."

"She speaks the truth!" Kyle reinforced.

They laughed, and I moved Leon over to Alex's waiting arms.

"So it starts like this." I began. "Under my stomach where food goes, there's a baby box. God puts an egg in there, and it starts to grow. It's connected to me, the momma, and it shares my blood and oxygen and nutrients. Eventually, God decides if it'll be a boy or a girl, and in Leon's case, a boy. And he grows bigger. The baby box can stretch, and that's when my tummy looked so big."

The kids nodded, mesmerized. This would be the hardest part.

"Then, the baby has to leave the box. He goes through a tube, a slide, and comes out." I said. I breathed out heavily., thinking I'd done it and they were appeased.

"So where's the slide?" Jessica asked.

Dang this girl! "Well... under the baby box."

Her eyes got big. She put a hand on her stomach. "So, tummy." She moved her hand down. "Baby box." She moved down again in a crude gesture between her legs. "End of the slide?"

I nodded. Alex looked confused for a moment.

"But boys..." His eyebrows creased.

"Only girls can have babies." Jessica said.

"Yup, you got it." She made a face.

"I am never having any babies." She said.

"Hallelujah!" Kyle yelled.

I laughed. "Let's go wash up for dinner." I told them. I laid Leon in his crib in my bedroom and helped Kyle finish dinner.