May 5, 2026

Kyle

"Yeah, sure... No, no problem I'm glad you called. Jessica really wants to meet him. Okay be there soon." I slipped my phone into my pocket and grabbed my coat. "Kids! Dinner at aunties!" They pounded down the stairs. We walked out into the cold. "Alex! Not in the snow!" I tugged his hand. Jessica rang the doorbell.

"Hi!" Sarah greeted us. It felt a little awkward that she was feeding Leon on the doorstep. I was quickly realizing just how different she was from Samantha. They had always been polar opposites, but I had thought that was mostly in personality. They were also different in their perspectives and actions. I made my way in, and the kids raced around us and plopped down on the couch.

"Can I hold him?" Jessica called.

Sarah laughed and carried Leon into the living room. "Yes, in just a few minutes. Let him finish eating."

"He's eating you?" Alex said with big eyes.

I smiled. Sarah laughed and began explaining what was really happening. I usually wouldn't have wanted to explain or discuss that sort of thing, so I left it to her and went to the kitchen.

My nose wrinkled at the feeble attempt at a meal. I moved the pot off the stove and located the noodles. I'm not a chef, but for my best friend I could be.