April 27, 2026

Sarah

I got situated in my room. "Kyle, you didn't have to call Mitch. You guys can go home. I'm just grateful you were able to drive me."

He rolled his eyes with exasperation. "Like I'd leave you here alone." He pulled Alex up. "Don't touch the cords guys."

I relaxed. "Thanks." Another contraction hit. Kyle looked worried, but I smiled. "I'm fine."

The nurse returned a little while later, with Mitch in tow. He rushed over to me and hugged me gently. "Are you okay?"

I laughed. "You brothers are much more alike than you realize. I'm fine." I made my way to the door. "I kind of want lemonade. You kids want to go with me?"

They cheered. "I want lemonade!" Jessica said.

Kyle and Mitch started to argue.

"Guys, come on, I'm fine. It's just a short walk to the elevator."

"I'll take them and bring you some, okay?" Kyle suggested. "Catch up with Mitch for a bit." With that he rushed the kids out.

I sighed and paced the room. "He's going to keep me totally cooped up until I have this kid."

"Only because he cares." Mitch assured me. "You've really been there for him since Samantha took off."

I shrugged. "What kind of friend would I be if I wasn't?"

"You really think that's it?" Mitch asked. "You're his best friend. And I know he says he's got lots of friends but let's be honest, they're just acquaintances compared to how close you two are."

I rolled my eyes. "Mitch stop. I know you ship us but we're..." But we weren't. Not anymore.

"Just keep it in mind. You could really help each other." Kyle walked back into the room. "I better take them before they get bored." Mitch picked up Alex and headed towards the door.

Jessica handed me a bottle of lemonade. "I love you auntie." She said.

I hugged her. "I love you too Jess."

"You'll keep her safe, right daddy?" Jessica looked up at Kyle with hopeful eyes.

He patted her head. "Of course." Jessica breathed out and followed Mitch.