Chapter 31

Cassie's POV:

It's been a few weeks since I found out about Colby's mom. He's been distant and extremely upset, but that's totally understandable. I would be the same way if that happened to me. Tomorrow Sam, Colby, and I are going to Kansas for her funeral. Normally I would be worried that I'm meeting his family, but in these circumstances the only thing I'm concerned about is the well being of Colby and his family.

I've been comforting Colby a lot recently, and I hate seeing him this way. I know I've said this a lot, but it's hurts me to see him so broken. I wish I could do something to help, but I know there's nothing to do except be there for him while he gets through it. While I thought more about everything that's going on, I started packing my stuff. I know I'm packing really late, but I procrastinate everything, and I've been too busy making sure Colby is okay.

    I threw in random shirts and jeans that I don't even remember having. I made sure to bring tons of hoodies because I literally live in them, no matter what weather it is. It can be 100 degrees out, and I'll still wear one. As I finished filling up my suitcase, I remembered that I need to bring some nicer clothes for the funeral. I grabbed a black dress and some black flats. I never wear heels because they're uncomfortable, and I would definitely trip if I ever tried to walk in them.

Colby's POV:

   The past few weeks I've been living in my room. Cassie has brought me food and helped me out because she knew I didn't want to have to interact with anyone right now. After getting the call about my mom, I relapsed badly. Ever since a kid I've had severe depression, but it decreased significantly when I met Cassie. She made me happier. Hearing the news about my mom was torture though. I couldn't even say goodbye to her. The last time I saw my mom was almost half a year ago. And now I'll never be able to see her or hear her voice again.

   It's my fault though. I knew this might happen. I should've been there more. I should've stayed in Kansas with her. Damn it, why am I such a screw up?! She told me she would be fine. She told me to go back to LA. Why, out of all these times, did I actually listen and do what she said? I just can't believe she's gone. I don't want to believe it.

   A few years ago, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. At first, the doctors said that she would be okay. That she would survive it. But as time went on, her condition got worse and worse. She was constantly in and out of hospitals, visiting many different doctors who all told her the same thing. That they couldn't do anything else to save her. She was given about a year and a half left to live. I never realized how fast time could go. I never realized how much I should've cherished those last moments with her. Because now she's gone. And I'll never get her back. I wish I had spent more time with her. It's too late now.

a/n well enjoy this crappy chapter. i actually know how i'm going to end this story. it'll probably end at 40 chapters, maybe sooner maybe later. i want your opinions and thoughts though. what do you think will happen? what ending do you want, and what ending do you think you're gonna get?? thanks for sticking with me when i give up on writing for awhile. i love you all. ❤️