Chapter 119: Home is Where the Heart is

Start from the beginning

Gavin smirked as Tasha shoved his shoulder. "I. Will. Not. Trip!"

"Oh, sureeeee you won't." Gavin shook his head, "How much do you wanna bet Hank is gonna fall into the river?"

"Yeah, the poor bastard better bring his swimming trunks."

•••

"Can I ask you something, Tasha?"

Tasha looked over at Connor, raising her eyebrows when she noticed the serious expression on his face as he looked at her. "Uh oh, you're using your serious face."

"I'm always serious." Connor said as the corner of his mouth turned up into a small smile. "I just have been thinking a lot recently and wanted to talk to you about it."

"What, are you getting cold feet?" Tasha teased, sitting next to him on the couch.

"Why would my feet be — oh!" Connor smiled slightly when he finally understood the joke. "No, it's most definitely not that. I just — " He was quiet for a moment as his LED whirred yellow. I wonder if he'll ever take it off.

"What are your feelings towards Detective Reed?"

Tasha was taken aback by his question. His brown eyes gazed into hers, waiting patiently for her answer. "My feelings... towards Gavin?" Tasha scrunched her brows together. "He's one of my best friends. I've known him a long time. You know that."

"Yes, but that isn't what I'm asking." Connor said as he sat closer to her.

"You — do you think I like Gavin? As in, like like, Gavin?"

Connor closed his eyes for a moment, "Yes, the term 'like like' is another way to put it, I suppose."

Tasha slumped back against the couch, "I'm in love with you."

"I am well aware of that, dear." Connor gently pushed her hair away from her face. "But again, that isn't what I'm asking. You evading the question is an answer in itself."

"I am not evading the question! It's just... a stupid question." Tasha huffed in annoyance. "I — Gavin is my friend. He's one of my best friends."

"So your feelings towards him are completely platonic?"

Tasha frowned slightly, "I — that's not fair! You know I had a thing for him before you came into my life."

Connor smiled slightly. "I'm not going to be upset, hurt or angry at whatever your answer is, Tasha. What would hurt me is you lying about how you feel."

Tasha sighed, looking up at Connor. "I don't know, Connor. Maybe? I mean, I don't really see anyone other than you in a romantic way at all— to be honest I haven't found anyone else attractive since I met you...But Gavin Reed is a mystery to me. He's kind and gentle when you'd expect him to just be a total douche."

Connor chuckled, but said nothing as he continued to look at her.

"I liked Gavin for a long time, Connor. It isn't something that just goes away... Yeah, ok? Maybe I like him a bit but it doesn't matter. We're just friends."

"I'm not worried about that." Connor chuckled again, resting his hand on her leg as he brushed his thumb against her skin, "I just want you to know you can talk about your feelings of Gavin to me."

Tasha looked at Connor with a startled expression, "Well, there's not much to say, to be honest. I just ignore them. I know nothing good will come from it so why feel it?"

"Because it is real." Connor replied, his brown eyes gazing at hers. "Deep down, you know this... maybe you, in this moment don't but my love, your feelings for Gavin are genuine and real, it's love—"