Chapter Twelve: Numb

•Tasha's POV•

When I woke up I stared at the ceiling, feeling a numbness seep it's way into my body.

Oh.
Right.

Today is the anniversary of Mother and Father's passing.

I tried not to think of that day, but it always came back. Whether in nightmares or just from being alone for too long.

What made everything worse, was Connor had begun to pull away from me. He rarely spoke to me, and when he did it was solely about the mission. If there was ever a chance that he had feelings for me, that's long since passed.

I wasn't sure what I did wrong — what I did to make him pull away from me.

I sighed heavily as I got out of bed, rubbing my eyes. It had been years, too many years, since my parents died. Each year it got worse.

This year it felt endless.

I felt my phone buzz, repeatedly, every few minutes for a few hours but I didn't care.

It was 8pm when I finally got out of bed and decided to go drink away my sorrows.

Hank did it, so maybe it would help me.

I knew part of me was upset because I was conflicted with my feelings for Connor, and on this day it made everything go from bad to worse.

•••

I hated alcohol for the most part. My entire life I drank maybe twice, yet here I was on my fifth drink with no sign of stopping anytime soon.

*beep*
*beeeeep*

I sighed, taking a long sip of alcohol as I answered my phone that had been going off non stop for five hours. "What do you want, Hank?!"

"Tasha — god, kid, where the hell are you?! I can barely hear you!" 

"I'm having a party for one." I replied as I downed another glass of whatever the fuck it was I was drinking. "Bye bye." I hung up my phone, shoving it back in my pocket as I got another glass.

•••

I had no clue how much time had passed, it all blurred together as I continued to drown away my sorrows.

"Tasha."

I groaned as I took another sip, "What do you want, Connor?"

"You didn't show up to work today. Hank said you didn't sound like yourself. I traced your phone and it said you were here."

"Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!" I shrugged, "I've just been here, drinking." I replied as I took another long swig.

Connor grabbed the drink out of my hand, pouring the rest of my drink out into the floor with an unamused expression. "You're cut off."

I turned to look at him, glaring slightly. "How about you just fuck off, Connor?"

Connor blinked a few times. "Why are you here, Tasha? You don't drink."

"I'm here because it's been a bad fucking day." I replied. After I moment I hummed thoughtfully, "Maybe I should go find Gavin. I'm sure he could cheer me up." I nearly threw up at the idea of being close to Gavin, but the thought still ran through my brain as the alcohol coursed through me.

More like piss me off even more.

"That would not be pleasant for him, or for you." Connor replied, something resembling a frown on his face. "You dislike him."

I rolled my eyes, but smiled none the less. "You're cute when you're jealous." 

Connor's brown eyes showed a softness I hadn't seen in a while, causing me to frown slightly. "Tasha—"

"You don't care, remember?" My frown turned into a glare as I recalled how cold he had been recently. "This last week you've treated me like shit. Gavin's been nicer to me this past week than you have." I admitted, raising my voice as I looked away from him. "So why don't you just fuck off. You clearly don't care about me."

"I do care about you."

Slowly I turned to look at him, my anger subsiding as I took in his words

Slowly I turned to look at him, my anger subsiding as I took in his words. "W-what?"

Connor was closer now, his hand brushing against mine slowly as he looked into my eyes. "Ever since I met you... something's changed. It's confusing. I'm not supposed to feel anything." His thumb gently brushed over my knuckles as he spoke. "But this — being close to you... it feels... right."

Connor leaned down slowly, not looking away from my eyes as he gently pressed his lips against the corner of my mouth, nearly causing me to pass out.

"I'm sorry I hurt you by my actions this past week — I just can't lose you." Connor admitted as he pulled back, moving his other hand to caress my cheek.

I let out a shaky breath, smiling slightly as I leaned up, kissing his cheek. "It's confusing for me too, you know... I mean — I'm a human... we're fragile beings..." I trailed off as I thought of my parents.

"I never told you how my parents died, did I?"

Connor shook his head, letting go of my face but continuing to hold my hand.

"Drunk driver. I survived, but my parents didn't." I shrugged, "I was sixteen. Hank took me in after that." 

"Today is the anniversary of their death. Each year it gets worse..." I trailed off shaking my head. "I'm just trying to forget about it. Among other things..."

"Your alcohol consumption levels are far higher than they should be..." Connor stood up, grabbing onto my hand tighter.

"What are you doing?"

"Taking you home." Connor replied simply, tugging on my arm and pulling me out of the building.

I sighed in defeat as I allowed him to pull me to the cab.

When we arrived at my house, I could barely stand or think straight. The alcohol was kicking in and my senses were dulled.

Connor pulled me through my house, gently laying me down on the bed while he climb in next to me, wrapping his arms around me and pulling my head to rest on his chest.

"Try to sleep." Connor said softly as he pressed his lips to the top of my head. "I'm not going anywhere." 

A/N: Hope you enjoyed! Please leave any scene suggestions , comments or critiques as it keeps me writing! Anything Connor x Tasha you wanna see ? Lemme know! I appreciate each and every one of you. Prepare for the angst train :(
Ps:
Bryan has gorgeous eyes dear lord 🙌🏻 what a beautiful specimen

 Prepare for the angst train :( Ps:Bryan has gorgeous eyes dear lord 🙌🏻 what a beautiful specimen