Chapter 44: Kasen

We walk along the sidewalks for about an hour.  Still no Violet.  Still no Caleb.

          The street lights are about to turn on.  We’re going to get lost if we don’t stop until morning.  There’s no way we are going to find anyone in the dark.  It just doesn’t work that way.

          “Hey, Cathlina,” I say, putting my hand on her shoulder, “we should stop soon.”

          She doesn’t respond.  She quickens her pace.  She brushes my hand off like I’m an obnoxious bug.  She shakes her head.

          “Cathlina, we should stop,” I repeat.

          No response, still.

          I need to annoy her more.  She’ll pay attention to me then.  What’s a stupid name I can call her that would make her ticked at me?  I’m about to come up with something, but she suddenly stops.

          Obviously annoyed with me and my attempts, she turns around.  An angered expression is spread across her face.  I only get a glimpse before she pushes me.

          Right into the busy street.

          There’s only a second before I see bright headlights on a big black truck rushing toward me.  I try to dodge out of the way, but in the moment, I panic.

          The car’s metal front comes toward me so quickly, I hardly feel the impact.  Not until the car has screeched to a stop and my head has hit the pavement.  The pain is unlike anything I’ve felt before.

          Cathlina is screaming my name at the top of her lungs.

          My head feels like it’s stuffed with cotton.  I can barely hear the people surrounding me.  They are talking about a hospital, broken bones, and blood.

          Cathlina leans over me, the only person I can actually focus long enough on to recognize who it is.  Her eyes are filling with tears.  I see her mouthing, “It’s okay.  It’s okay.”  She brushes the hair out of my eyes.  She presses her forehead against mine.  Her tears spill onto my cheeks.

          I try to move my right arm, but I can’t.  I manage to move my other one, and I move a piece of Cathlina’s bangs behind her ear.

          She smiles, but she continues to cry.

          A police officer comes and pulls her away from me.  She is still crying and she is thrashing against the officer’s grasp.  I see her screaming at the man pulling her away, but he manages to take her to a police car.

          The other officers are talking and paramedics are there, unfolding a gurney.  I can’t hear a word they are saying anymore.  All that is going on in my ears is this intense ringing.  My vision goes fuzzy around the edges until all I can see is black.  Then, even the ringing goes away.

          I can’t feel anything anymore.

***

          I open my eyes to see Cathlina holding my hand.  I see her with her eyes closed, muttering something under her breath.

          “Cathlina?” I say, my voice sounding like a frog.

          She opens her eyes, still filled with tears like before I passed out.