The Runaways: Chapter 6: Kasen

“Jakob, why did you sneak up on us like that? It's rude,” Sofey scolds her little brother.

“Mom wants you to come inside. And I'm telling Dad all about this!” Jakob taunts. Jakob turns to tell her parents, but Sofey catches him by the arm.

She grits her teeth. “Don't you dare say anything about this. If I find that you did, you will not see to the end of it.”

“End of what?” her little brother asks shakily.

“Whatever I need to end. Just leave. And don't say anything, got it?”

Little Jakob shakes his head in agreement and leaves. I stare at Sofey for a few minutes.

“Why were you so mad? He didn't do anything wrong. It wasn't his fault,” I defend Jakob.

“He was going to tell my dad. Do you want to be kicked out of my house?” Sofey asks, offended.

“Well, no, but I'm sure your dad would warm up to it. I don't have anywhere else to go. He would understand.”

“Kasen, my dad isn't a very understanding person. He was trying to make you sleep in a tent. He doesn't really like you. Maybe you should leave today, so it won't be as painful of a goodbye,” Sofey suggests.

I shake my head. “Sofey, it'll be okay. I can stay here overnight. It's getting dark anyway. When we go to school, I won't go in. I'll just leave from there. Tell our teachers I moved to Hawaii or something. Somewhere far away from Illinois. Make sure people aren't looking for me.”

She doesn't respond in any way for about a minute. She is thinking of all I've said. She doesn't want to lose me.

“Okay. If that's what you want.” She shivers through her thin sweater. “We should go inside. Mom's probably worried.”

We go inside. Sofey's father, Jerry, is laying on the couch. He looks up at me from the show he's watching and grumbles.

“What were you doing out there? You left dinner early, Sofey. Is something wrong? Do you want to tell me about anything?” he asks.

Just as he says this, Jakob wanders into the room. I can tell Jakob is having a hard time not telling Sofey's father.

I decide to tell Sofey's father, “We were talking. Tomorrow my family is moving to Idaho, so we were trying to savor the last day we'll see each other.”

“Idaho? Why?” is all her father is wondering.

“Um, my family bought a farm. . . a potato farm. Yeah, my parents want to take up farming,” I lie.

“Really? Why are you moving all the way over there? Why not build a grain farm here? Corn is the best crop here. Well, you could plant potatoes if you want, but corn is the best,” Jerry tries to tell me.

“Well, you know the best potatoes come from Idaho, and that's what my parents really want to plant. We already bought potato land. You know, it's the best for potatoes.”

“You know, I never have taken you as a farm boy. Sofey talks about you all the time, but never has mentioned the outdoors as one of your likings,” Jerry continues.

I'm blowing it. He doesn't believe me. I've got to give a really good reason for moving.

“My grandma used to live in Idaho, but she just died. We are going to take her potato business, so it lives without her,” I tell him.

“Oh. That's too bad. Well, Sofey should be getting to bed. She will see you in the morning. Let me finish this show and you can sleep on this couch.”

“What am I supposed to do until then?” I ask.

“Well, you can talk to Sofey for a little while, but just until it's over. No peeking in her room, understand? Boys I don't know aren't allowed in there,” Jerry warns.

“So, where are we supposed to go?” Sofey asks.

“Kitchen table. Now hush up.”

I slowly walk away from the living room and make my way to the kitchen where I can smell a dessert in the oven. I've never smelled something so rich and sweet before. Mom never makes us treats like this.

“What's in the oven, Mom?” asks Sofey.

“Apple pie. It should be done in a couple minutes, but we have to wait for it to cool. Kasen, would you like some when it's out?” Sofey's mother asks me.

I nod my head. “Yeah. My mom has never made pie before. Or even a birthday cake. She never really bakes.”

“That's sad. A mother should make special things for her children,” Sofey's mother sympathizes again.

“You'll love it. My mom makes it the best.”

We wait a minute or so and Sofey's mom pulls the steaming pie from the oven. It smells even better than when it's out of the oven.

I breathe the scent in deeply. I feel like this is the last sweet thing I'll be smelling for a while.

Sofey and I talk a bit until her mom says it's okay to eat.

When I bite into my first forkful, I feel like my tongue has been sent to another planet. The flavor is like nothing I've ever tasted before. It seems unearthly. I chew slowly to savor the intense sweetness. The apples are fresh, I can tell. They taste nothing like the one Mom gets from the store. They are more crisp and sweet than the ones from the store. The cinnamon is nothing like the ground stuff in canisters. This is more flavorful. And the crust is flaky but tender at the same time. I take all of this in before it is gone.

I see Sofey staring at me like I am crazy. She doesn't understand how wonderful this is for me.

“Is it good? You seem to be enjoying it a little too much,” Sofey asks.

“Sofey he can't enjoy it too much. You know his mom never makes this kind of thing.”

“It's great. I've never tasted anything better,” I say between chews.

“Good. Once you are finished with that, I want you two to go to bed. You have school tomorrow. How many nights were you thinking you would spend here?” Sofey's mom asks.

“Oh, just tonight. My family is moving tomorrow,” I tell her.

“Where are you moving to?” Sofey's mom asks.

“Idaho. We bought a farm there. We are planting potatoes,” I lie to her. This story is getting more and more believable.

“Why potatoes? And did your parents make up?”

“No. I'm just going with my dad.”

“Oh. Is your dad into farming? I've never known him to farm,” Sofey's mom asks.

“He thinks it's a better future for my brother and I. I'm not sure why potatoes.”

“Sofey! Time for bed! And that boy can have the couch now!” Jerry calls. I hear him run up the stairs.

I finish my pie and head to the living room. Before Sofey disappears onto the dark staircase, she kisses my cheek. She runs up the steps to her bedroom.

I lay on the long couch. It is more comfortable than I expect. It is warm from where her father was, but I try not to let that bother me. I turn off the lamp and try to go to sleep. So much is on my mind.