The Runaways: Chapter 2: Kasen

Mom, you don't understand!” I yell. She looks so upset with me, I see a pure rage in her eyes.

“I understand completely. Do you want to get on my bad side?” She storms across the living room. She raises her hand as if to slap me. I know that's what she's about to do.

“Mom, stop! Stop!” I yell as she hits me repeatedly.

I can't remember what I did. I thinks it is about a girl. And I think her name is Sofey. And I'm pretty sure she is my girlfriend.

Her blows become harder and quicker. I cry out, but she doesn't listen. I try to get away from her, but she continues to hit me.

Luckily, her arm gets tired and she stops completely. I take the moment to bolt out the front door.

“Kasen! Get back here!” I don't listen. She is standing in the doorway, watching me bolt down the street, faster than I have ever run before. I don't look back at my house. I never want to see it again.

I don't know where I'm going, but I bet it's way better than this place.

I'm not sure where I can stay. I live in Chicago, and it's easy to get lost. I slow down and find I'm two miles away from my house. How did I get so far so fast?

Sofey's house is only a block or two away. Maybe I can stay there.

My adrenaline is skyrocketing. I need to calm down and figure out what to do. I sit on a ledge next to the road.

I empty out my pockets. All I have is a few bucks and my phone, a slip of paper and a paper clip. Not much that I can survive off of.

I can use my phone to call Sofey. She might let me stay there for a while.

I find my phone is dead. Why can't it be a little bit charged?

My next plan is to get to the train station. They have payphones there I can use. But, the nearest train station is three miles away.

Well, now to Plan C. I could just knock on her door. I hope I don't scare her too much. She likes it when I come over, which is pretty much every day.

I have never really liked my parents. They never care about me. They only care about my younger brother, Reese. Once he came, they didn't pay any attention to me. I have to get myself to school, usually by train or bus. It is too far to walk, and they don't pay for bus services. I have to use the city bus, which isn't the best. I live in the bad part of Chicago. Honestly, it isn't the worst. It's not as bad as the bad part of Detroit.

So, I need to get to Sofey's. I use my weird speed to get there in five seconds. I'm not sure how it works, but I'm glad it does.

As I walk up the steps of her house, something catches my eye. It is a moving figure low to the ground.

I figure it's just a cat, so I ring the doorbell. I hear a yowl coming from the figure. Yeah, just a cat.

Her father answers the door. His expression is confused. “May I help you?”

I nod. I haven't met her dad before. “Is Sofey here?”

He ignores my question. “Who are you? Do you know Sofey?”

I gulp. Her dad is bigger than I expected.

“Yes. I know Sofey. I go to school with her.” I decide to not mention she's my girlfriend.

“Why are you here?” he bellows. He is beginning to scare me.

“I just want to see her. Is it okay if I talk to her?” I decide to say. I don't want him to hurt me if I say the wrong thing.

The big man sighs. “Yes. Fine, you can talk to her.” He calls her name.

“Coming, Daddy!” she calls back. I hear her running through the house.

When she gets to her father, she asks, “Yeah?” She doesn't see me quite yet.

“A boy wants to talk to you,” he tells his daughter. He moves from the doorway so she can see me.

“Hi, Sofey,” I tell her.

“Oh, hey, Kasen. Did you call? I didn't hear anyone call me,” she says to me, out of breath. Her father relaxes a bit, seeing that she knows my name.

“No. My phone is dead, sorry.”

“It's fine. Come in. We're about to have dinner.” She waves me in.

Her father looks at me distastefully. It's going to be a long meal.