The Runaways: Chapter 4: Kasen

“Thank you for our food, God, and this family. Thank you for all the wonderful things you have brought us. Amen,” Sofey's family prays.

“Um, Amen,” I say, a little delayed. I don't quite understand the whole prayer aspect. I never went to church, and my parents never even mentioned God in the house. I'm not even sure who He is.

I'm sitting between Sofey and her older brother, who has never met me. I just didn't want to sit next to her father.

“So, Kasen, why aren't you at your house? Are your parents fighting again?” Sofey's mother asks.

I hesitate. That's my story for every time I come over. I nod. “Yeah. They're fighting.” I pull my sleeve down to cover the welts my mother had made. Just another memory to my collection of bumps, bruises, scars, and cuts.

The only person who knows is Sofey. I made her promise to not tell anyone. She's the only person who makes it better, not worse. I know if I tell anyone else, they'll get me a therapist or medication.

“Well, that's sad. I wish they would just get along,” her mother sympathizes.

I nod. “Yeah,” I mumble.

Most of the meal is pretty quiet. The only things said are questions about the school day.

The reason my mother was mad rushes back to me. It was about Sofey. Mom had seen me and her outside the school. She didn't know that we are dating. When I walked home, she came by in her car and made me get in. She yelled horrible words at me. Words I shouldn't repeat or even think.

I still don't see the big deal. So, I like Sofey, and she likes me. She made a big deal about nothing.

“Could I stay here for a while until my parents make up?” I ask Sofey's mother.

“How long do you think it'll be?” she asks me. She doesn't seem as surprised as I thought she'd be.

“It may be a few days. You know how they get,” I say, surprised that I don't have to continue convincing her.

Her mother shakes her head understandingly. I see her father giving me an evil stare. I pay no attention.

“That's alright. Just keep in touch with your parents to go home when you need to. They should work it out.”

I nod. Luckily, tomorrow is Tuesday, so I don't have to worry about much. I'll just finish the school week and leave. I might even go to a different city. But, I'll have to leave Sofey. I guess I'll figure it out when it comes to that.

“Mom, I need to find Kasen somewhere to sleep,” Sofey breaks in.

Her father throws out an idea. “We have a tent he can sleep in. I think it's in the garage.”

Her mother scoffs. “Jerry, don't make him sleep in the yard. He is scared to sleep at home.”

I smile nervously. “Yeah. It's getting chilly outside.”

Jerry sighs. “Fine. But, you two aren't sharing a room.”

Sofey scolds her father. “Why? Do you think Kasen is a troublemaker? Do you not trust us?”

Well, the troublemaker part is right. Sometimes I get in trouble so my parents will pay more attention to me. They only care about stupid Reese. At least I get a little attention when I get an “F” on a test.

“You will not have this boy go into your room. Understand?”

Sofey folds her arms and slumps in her chair. Jerry gives the same expression. She rolls her eyes and gives in. “Fine.”