Chapter 41: Kasen

I rush back to the meeting room, stuffing the map into my pocket.  I see a clock on my way over, saying it’s close to 5:10 already.  I quicken my pace a bit more until I’m running.

When I get to the room, everyone is sitting, Cathlina in the front of the room.  They all have their eyes shut.  Their hands are clasped and their heads are tilted toward the tables.  I can hear Cathlina saying something, but I’m too far away to understand what she is saying.

What I’m watching almost brings me to tears.  It reminds me of the night I ate dinner with Sofey’s family before I ran away.  Her family did this before they began eating.

I remember how confused I was, but I did it anyway.  It seems ridiculous to me.  The concept of praying to someone you cannot see just confuses me.  But

If Sofey and Cathlina do it, there must be some sense to it.  Maybe I can ask later.

          I hear the closing word, “Amen,” and everyone opens their eyes, lifts their heads, and relaxes their hands.

          Cathlina looks around the room, and spots me.  She motions for me to come in.

          I quickly make my way to the front of the room to where Cathlina is standing.  The other kids talk to each other as we stand at the front.

          “Hey, what took you so long?  And where’s Violet?” Cathlina asks.  Her mood seems to have lightened quite a bit.

          I sigh.  “Couldn’t find her.  But I did find a map.”  I hand her the crumpled piece of paper from my pocket.

          She gasps.  “Where did you get this?  This is great!”

          “Violet’s room.  It was just sitting on her desk,” I say.

          She smiles widely.  “Kasen, this is amazing!  We can find Jedda!  We can stop her!”  She makes this squealing noise that is mixed with her laughter.

          “It’s not that big of a deal.  It’ll help, definitely.  But I don’t know if that’s actually where Violet and Caleb are.”

          She smiles directly at me.  “So?  They’ll come back.  But Jedda, we need to get rid of her.  We need to follow this map.  Tonight.”

          What is she do happy about?  I found a map.  Big deal.  It isn’t what we need right now.  We need to find Caleb and Violet.  If Caleb is with Jedda and Caleb went after him and she doesn’t have the map, how far will she get?  We need to find Violet first.  She’s mentally unstable, and she can’t be on her own.

          “What about Violet and Caleb?  We need them,” I say trying to talk some sense into her.

          “We’ll look for them on the way.  Thank you for finding this,” she says, and throws her arms around me, planting a kiss on my cheek.

          I’m stunned.  “Okay... I’m just gonna sit down now.”

          Cathlina’s serious face is back on.  “No, you need to stay up here for a bit.  Just until we talk about something else.”

          I nod, but I’m unsure of what to think about this girl.

          She gets the group’s attention and begins the meeting.  She explains the issue with Jedda and how she’s put video cameras by the entrance.  She says how she found me when I fell down the hole, and how I’m not a threat.  She tells them about our plan to leave.

          I add, “We shouldn’t be gone long.  We are just finding Violet and Caleb.”

          Cathlina sighs, but gives in.  “Yes.  We will just look for Caleb and Violet.”

          I feel a wave of relief wash over me.  I am not ready to face Jedda again.  It’s easier to find Caleb and Violet first and then go to Jedda’s place.  We’ll look in town first.  Then go closer to Jedda’s headquarters.

          I change my attention to the group of misfits in front of me.  Many exchange worried glances and begin discussions.  I notice that there are kids anywhere from three to eighteen sitting in front of me.  Some look scared and disshelved, others are happy and grateful to be in a sheltered place instead of on the streets.

          Cathlina continues talking about how we are going to protect ourselves from Jedda and what we can do to help.  I scan the room and see Trenton staring daggers into my eyes.  He holds two fingers up, puts them in front of his eyes, and directs them back at me.  It’s that “I’m-watching-you-and-you-better-not-steal-my-girl” gesture.  With that, I realize that Trenton may be a worse villain to me than Jedda.