The Runaways: Chapter 27: Cathlina

We had a hard time serving food to almost a hundred people. It didn't help that I haven't figured out how to clean the cafeteria up. But it was nice to have Caleb and Trenton helping me. Violet came to help us as well. She was still acting weird.

All four of us sit at a table. The one furthest away from the carnage Jedda caused yesterday.

“So, Cathlina, when are we going to go on our watch?” Trenton asks.

“I don't know. I haven't been thinking about that much. I just want to know where Jedda is keeping the kids she has captured. She could be anywhere by now. I have no idea how long they were out there before Jedda came,” I tell him.

Caleb looks at me guiltily. “It's my fault. I should have asked you before I took matters into my own hands. I'm not the leader here. You are.”

I sigh. “Yeah. But, it's okay. I know you were trying to help.”

Violet nods. “He was trying to help...”

The three of us give her questioning glances. Why is she acting so strange? Can I really trust this girl? If she's here, she must be a runaway like me, right? She needs my help if she ran away from her home.

Unless Trenton is right. That you can't trust anyone. But if he says that, does that mean that he doesn't trust me? I'm included in “anyone,” right?

Trenton gives Caleb a warning glance. “Don't let anything like it happen again. If we aren't careful, one of us could get captured along with those others.” Trenton pauses. “Caleb, who did you send out there?”

He has to think for a moment. “Kennedy Mendoza, Jaden Nieves, and Riley Andrews. I was going to join them, but I thought I would tell you about how I'd helped.”

Only one name really stands out. Jaden Nieves. I know of the other two, but Jaden is the important one. He stabbed Jedda in the throat. If he had hit her a little higher, it would've killed her. But Jaden is still amazing. He's only ten, and he managed to stab a forty-five year old woman who had tried to kill him. And now Jedda has captured him.

How does Jedda live with herself?

“He helped...” Violet murmured. She doesn't even look up at us. She sounds like she's gone insane. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she's already gone insane and these are just the side affects.

Caleb puts a hand on her shoulder. “Violet, it's okay. Nobody is after you.”

Trenton gives me a worried glance. “Do you think she should go back to sleep? Maybe she's just tired.”

I nod. “Yeah. Violet, I think you should go back to your room. I think you will feel better after you sleep for a little bit.”

She stares at the plate in front of her. She shakes her head. “They're going to kill me. Don't let them kill me!”

Caleb shushes her. “Nobody is there. Nobody will hurt you. I can take you back to your room. Your room is safe.”

Violet looks at Caleb. She nods her head slightly and stands up shakily. Caleb grabs her arm to steady her. They walk back to Violet's room.

And now it's just me and Trenton again. The same thing that led me to forget what time it was.

“Cathlina, what do you think is wrong with Violet? I don't think it's normal for someone to repeat what another person says like that,” Trenton asks me.

I shrug. “I don't know. She's never acted exactly 'normal.' Since I've met her, she's acted like she sees these people that aren't there. I don't know, maybe she always acts like this.”

He shakes his head. “Most people don't do that. Maybe she's hiding something.”

My prediction may be right. Maybe she will betray me like Makayla did years ago. Trenton might be right about not trusting anybody. But if he wants me to trust him, then isn't he just lying to me?

I just nod. “Possibly.”

He must see my complications, because he asks, “Are you okay?”

I don't know. I don't know what “okay” is anymore. Am I okay? Is everything going to turn out perfect for me in the end? Is my sister and Mr. Leight and the other victims of Jedda's attack going to come back, just like in children's fairy tales? Is some prince going to ride through the doors and kiss my sister and bring her back?

No. Because those stories are fake. There's no prince, no coming back, no happy ending to my life.

So am I really okay? For now, maybe. At least I still have my sanity and someplace to call home. But as soon as Jedda takes everything I know away – Trenton, headquarters, my curse, my room, and anything else I love – am I okay anymore? I'm going to be on my own.

But I'm on my own now. That's what being a runaway is, right? Being an independent person? I'm independent. I don't need anyone else. I want someone there for me in case I fall. But I don't really need them. I want them.

All of my thoughts hit me at once. I guess I yelled, because Trenton is startled and he looks at me worriedly.

I put my hands over my mouth.

Trenton's eyes soften and he smiles at me. “You don't need to cry.”

I'm crying? Tears? Sobs? Frowns? Sadness? Am I feeling that? I'm just overwhelmed, right? I'm not sad.

But the water starts to flow from my eyes. I can't stop it. My throat gets choked up and I almost can't breathe. I've almost forgotten how to cry. And how it feels to be so helpless and the center of attention.

I hate it.

I can't see through the curtain of tears streaming over my eyes. Everything is blurry. What I can see is a group of guys standing behind Trenton, watching me be so vulnerable and weak. They want to help me. I don't need help. I'm independent.

“Cathlina? Are you okay?” Trenton asks softly.

I've never seen this side of him. He's always too focused on what he's doing to pay much attention to what I'm feeling. But now he cares about me. And he wants to make sure I'm okay.

I manage to respond, “I'm fine.” It sounds like a gargle more than words, but he somehow knows what I said.

Instead of just watching me sit there and pour water out of my eyes, Trenton drags his chair closer to mine and hugs my shoulders.

A sense of embarrassment floods through me. But I also feel relieved and I smile a little. The only smile I've flashed in hours.

Crying might not be as bad as I thought. I'm not sad, but I'm not sure if I'm confused either. I just think too much.