Chapter 42: Cathlina

Okay, so you know my little bit just a few minutes ago?  When I kinda freaked out and acted like a stupid, giggly teenage girl, hugging and kissing him on the cheek?

          Yeah, that.  I know it was completely not me, and I’ve probably scared Kasen worse than anything.  It’s just that the discovery of a way to get rid of our most feared threat made me feel helpful and that this whole “leader” thing may not be as scary as I thought.

          Anyway, as I’m talking to the group in front of me, I notice Trenton giving Kasen these faces.  It’s like he’s threatening him.  I have no idea why Trenton would be doing that.  Kasen hasn’t done a single thing to him.

          I don’t think I’ll ever understand boys and their arguments.  They honestly could be fighting over anything.

          I continue on with the meeting.  Kasen goes back to his seat, leaving me alone up here.  Luckily for me, I don’t have much more to go over.

          The meeting is finally finished, and we head to the cafeteria.  I brace myself to endure the wretched things waiting in the room.  When I open the doors, though, and the room is cleaned up.  Not a trace of blood is left on the ground.  All of the people who died here, their bodies aren’t here anymore.

          Trenton must’ve done what he said he’d do before I met Kasen.  I’ll have to thank him later.  Right now, I have to get dinner to these people.  Even the workers, whom I’m not even in charge of, walk through the doors of the cafeteria.

          A lot of the workers are teachers and medics or the chefs in the cafeteria’s kitchen.

          I make my way to the front of the room.  I ask for a few volunteers to help pass out food to people.  Kasen raises his hand, and Trenton, and two others I haven’t talked to often.  I call them up to the front, and we head to the kitchen.  The workers in the cafeteria hand out platters and bowls to each of us.  Before Kasen exits the room, Trenton trips him, causing the platter of apple slices to spill all over the floor.  Kasen lands on his chest, and he lets out a loud groan once he hits.

          Trenton tries to rush out before I realize it’s him, but I’m not as stupid as he may think.  I put the bowl I have back on the counter and snatch Trenton’s shirt before he can leave.  I quickly push him against the closest wall and place my forearm across his throat.  I put pressure against it, enough he gulps hard and I can feel it on my arm.  With my other arm, I hold his to his side and against the wall.  He’s not getting away from me.

          “What is wrong with you?!” I scream at him.

          Trenton’s eyes grow wide with fear.  He’s scared of me.  He should be.  He doesn’t answer.  He just searches the room for a possible escape.

          “Look at me!” I yell.  “What was that for?  What do you have against Kasen?  What did he ever do to you?”

          I can feel Trenton shivering.  “I don’t trust him,” he says, hardly above a whisper.

          I push my arm against his neck harder.  “Why?  What makes it an excuse to trip him?”

          Trenton makes a squeaking sound.  “I don’t know.”

          “That isn’t an answer.  Why don’t you trust him?  He’s just like us.”

          Trenton tries to shake his head, but only manages about an inch or so on each side.  “It’s not that.”

          I push harder on his throat.  “What is it then?”

          I stare at him, waiting for an answer.  He tightens his mouth and his eyes get shiny, like he’s about to cry.  I loosen my grip on his arm and pull my arm back just a little.

          Unfortunately, it’s too much freedom for him.  I’m completely shocked when he grabs my waist and pulls me close enough that I feel his mouth touch mine.  He presses closer.  My mind has a panic attack, and I realize what’s happening.  He’s kissing me, and I have no control over it.  He has me held in one place and the only way to get him off of me is to kick him in the shin.

          The connection is broken, and I get away from him as quickly as I can.  I hug the other wall, gasping for air.  My forehead is beaded with sweat.

          Trenton is bent over, rubbing his leg.  He deserves it.  He really does.  All I can feel is pure hatred raising up my throat.

          I look to the cafeteria workers, who saw the whole thing.  They shake their heads.  I don’t know if it’s toward me or Trenton.

          Kasen has managed to prop himself up on his elbow and he’s cleaning the apple slices from the floor.  I know he just started, since I could see him watching from the corner of my eye a little bit ago.

          As I move away from the wall I’m leaning against, I feel I’m shaky.  I wipe my mouth to try and erase the feeling of Trenton’s lips pressed against mine.  It doesn’t work.  It was exactly what I wanted to avoid.  It felt so wrong, like I was kissing my brother, or a close cousin.  It wasn’t anything I wanted to feel.

          I so want to attack Trenton, beat him up, or something.  Anything to get rid of this horrible feeling.

          I notice Kasen getting up, putting the last of the apples onto the platter to throw them away.  He glances at me, like he feels sorry for me.  A voice inside me says he should, but another says I shouldn’t feel sorry for myself.  That there are people worse off than me.  That’s true, but right now I feel sick to my stomach.

          The other volunteers left the room a while ago.  Around the time I pinned Trenton to the wall.  They should be thankful.

          I grab Kasen’s platter from his hands with shaky arms.  I dump it out and hand him a new platter.  He doesn’t make eye-contact with me.  My stomach churns from that too.  I want him to look at me.  I want him to see how bad I feel and how much I want him to help me.

          I guess I’ll have to make him notice me.

          Before he turns to give the platter to one of the tables in the cafeteria, I grab his shoulder.  He turns.  I hold my arms out and give him my best “puppy dog face.”

          He hesitates, like he doesn’t know what to do.  Then he puts the apples on the counter and pulls me into his arms.

          I feel so safe here.  Like he actually cares about me.  I know I’ve just met him, but it’s the way he acts.  It makes me know I can trust him.

          I push my nose into his jacket, the fabric itching my nose.  It feels nice.  I breathe in his scent.  It’s like a mix of car exhaust and a flowering garden.  It may sound unbearable, but it smells wonderful to me.  I promise to myself to never forget the fragrance.

          And then... the tears start to flow.  It’s horrible.  I take huge, shaky breaths and begin to lose control of myself.

          I hear him shushing me.  The shakiness evens out.  It’s just a gentle flow of salty water collecting on his jacket.

          I’ve never liked crying in front of people, but now, I don’t feel embarrassed.  I know that I can feel what I want around him.

        **Sorry for any feels or overwhelmingness from this chapter if you felt any.  No mean comments, please! :)**