Chapter 35: Cathlina

When I say I ran into Trenton and Caleb, I mean they literally “ran into” me.  Trenton practically plowed through me and Caleb fell on Trenton.  There was a domino effect in which I fell backwards, resulting in Kasen, who was behind me, grabbing me around the waist to keep me from falling.  It didn’t help much because the next thing I knew, we were all in a pile on the floor.  Caleb on top, Kasen on the bottom.  It took a lot of yelling and confusion, but we all managed to stand up.

          “Well, that was interesting,” I mumble.  “Why were you guys in such a hurry?”

          Trenton rubs his neck.  “I meant to tell you there was someone outside, but I guess you already know that.”  He gestures to Kasen standing next to me.  “Who is he, anyway?”

          Caleb shrugs, even though the question isn’t directed toward him.

          “Oh, this is Kasen.  He’s a runaway too,” I explain.

          Now that we are in direct light, I can get a good look at Kasen.  When I turn my head toward him, I feel a stop in my heart for a second.  He has shaggy, wind-blown hair that is dark blonde, almost a light brown.  But his hair isn’t what got me.  It’s his eyes.  I can’t tell if they’re blue or gray or a mix of both.  They look as if you can see right through them, like water in a gushing river.  They create a feeling of mystery to me.  I don’t know who Kasen is.  I can’t make assumptions just on his looks and the little tidbit I know.  I can’t help but feel the need to help him now, even if I didn’t want to before.

          He has a sturdy frame, and he’s about an inch taller than me.  He looks like he might do sports, but I guess it doesn’t matter.

          I don’t realize I’m staring until Trenton says, “It doesn’t mean anything.  He could be a spy.”  I feel his hand pulling me back, to be closer to him and father from Kasen.

          Kasen shakes his head.  His hair falls back into place.  “No.  I’m not.  I don’t work for Jedda.”

          Trenton gets a suspicious look on his face.  “How do I know you’re not lying?”

          Kasen bites his lip.  “Because she took my girlfriend from me.”

          His words hit me in the gut.  Jedda took his girlfriend.  His girlfriend.  The one he said he ran away from.

          “You told me you ran away from your girlfriend,” I say.

          Caleb jumps in, “You ran away from your girlfriend?  Dude, why would you do that?”

          Kasen gulps.  “I really don’t want to talk about it.”

          Trenton takes his hand off my shoulder and advances on Kasen.  “You better start talking, ‘cause I’m not believing you until I get proof.”  Trenton tries to look intimidating to Kasen, but it doesn’t work.  He is probably four inches shorter than Kasen, and his features don’t help.  His short close-cropped auburn hair and spray of light freckles make him look like he’s ten instead of fifteen.  He has his pale green eyes narrowed, but it doesn’t help him look scary.  His fists are clenched and he’s standing on his tiptoes to gain an inch.

          Kasen holds his hands up in defense.  “Fine.  But could I talk to Cathlina for a bit?”

          “Whoa,” I add, “since when am I in this argument?”

          Kasen looks flustered.  “Well, I just assumed you could help me, with my powers and all...”

          I stop him, “Would you shut up about the stupid powers?”