The Runaways: Chapter 21: Kasen

Luckily, my bonds are loose enough for me to dodge Jedda's knife. I have to roll onto one side of my body to avoid it. If the knife didn't hit the metal table, I would be dead right now. What a reassuring thought.

“Hold still!” Jedda shouts.

The force of my next roll loosens one of my restraints. They're only buckles, so I can easily slip my wrist out of the right one.

I take the chance to sit up and undo the left buckle on my wrist and the two on my ankles. Jedda roars in anger.

“Stupid apprentices!” Jedda yells. I'm pretty sure it's toward Don and Lora. They must've chosen the buckles to strap me down.

I run the length of the room and fling the door open. Just as I think I'm free from Jedda, I see hallways of more and more rooms just like mine with the metal table and chemical smells.

“Great,” I mumble, “a maze.”

I hear Jedda bellow with laughter behind me. “You're mine, now!”

No, I'm not giving up that easily. I run as fast as I can down the first hallway I see. I can hear Jedda yelling at me, but I can understand what she is saying. All I can hear is a voice in my head telling me to keep on running.

The blood in my ears rushes around, making it hard to concentrate. I don't know where I am, but I do know that I need to get out of here.

From what I've heard, Jedda is a horrible person. Definitely not someone to be enemies with. I guess I can't really do anything about it, though. I'll just try to stay away from her.

I turn more corners until I am sure that Jedda isn't after me anymore. I don't hear any footsteps behind me, so I figure I'm clear.

I stop running for my life. I check my pockets. I feel nothing in either one, except one slip of paper. It isn't mine. The handwriting isn't mine.

The note reads:

If you are reading this, you have gotten past Jedda. You have potential if you can get past her. Now, I've made a map of the laboratory. You'll have to retrieve it from my office. It is room 203B. When you get to it, you'll be able to leave this dreadful place. Good luck, Kasen. The road is long and treacherous, but at the end, your destination awaits.

-Don

So Don is a good person. I knew it! He had that way of talking to me, unlike Lora.

He wants me to find his office, room 203B. I look at the room to my right. It's room 102A. Maybe the letters mean the floor it's on. If it's a B room, then it's on the second floor. I'll just have to find an elevator or set of stairs.

There aren't any near me, so I'll have to keep looking. If I get close to room 203A, I won't be far from the room I need to go. I'll just have a floor to go up.

I look down another hallway. They're all in the 300's. Not that hallway. If I backtrack and find the hallway connected to this one, I can find the 200's.

Behind me is going up, so maybe the other hallway.

This building is confusing. The numbers don't make any sense. That hallway is the 400's.

There might be a hallway connected to this one behind me. That may be the 200's.

As I'm walking toward another hallway, I hear someone call my name.

I look around me. Only one door is open. I poke my head inside to see Sofey strapped to a table similar to the one I was on.

“Sofey. . .” I gasp.