Chapter 17~ Where Do I Go?

Darin's POV

When I left this morning I had no idea where I was headed. All I knew was I had to leave. With my foot pressed hard on the gas pedal I sped out of town towards the airport.

If there was one way to get out of this town it would be there.

After finding a place to park I sprinted into the airport. When I reached the service desk I flashed the girl a smile. She blushed.

"What can I help you with sir?" She asked while smiling. Her blush still on her cheeks.

"I need a plane ticket please. Anywhere that is at least a few states away, and if the flight is within the hour that would be amazing." I say and I flash her another smile. She looks at me and blushes again.

"I'll see what I can do for you Mr..." She trailed off with a questioning look on her face.

"Wilard. Darin Wilard." I say.

She nods and types something into her computer.

"Yes, Mr. Wilard. There is a flight to..." She says, but I'm not concentrating on where I'm going. I see someone I never expected to see here. I start to walk over, but then I remember my flight so I stop.

"Yes thank you that's perfect." I say.

"You're most welcome Mr. Wilard." She says as she hands me my ticket.

I walk away in a daze my eyes still following her.

Why is she here with him? I ask myself.

Suddenly I run up to her and whip her around. She gasps and gets the guiltiest look on her face.

"Darin I'm so sorry." Adrian says.

"What the hell are you doing here with Garrett?!" I ask through clenched teeth to cover up my yelling. She looks scared.

"I'm i..." She trails off and Garrett cuts in.

"She's coming with me and my family to New York for the week." Garrett says. He smirks and pulls her close to him.

Who the fuck does this punk think he is touching my sister like that?!

I smack his hand away as he reaches to hold her hand. Then I physically separate them. I turn back to him.

"Listen you little punk, my sister is not going anywhere with you. You have caused enough trouble in her life. She is NOT going to New York with you for a week, with or without your family. I don't know who you think you are, but you will never touch my sister again you fucking, perverted, little, bitch."

"She doesn't like you and you're being a little shit head by making her do this crap with you. She isn't going with you and that's final." I say as I glare into his beady little eyes.

"Darin I'm going with him and you can't stop me. I'm sorry I didn't ask you, but mom already said yes. We had plans for a while now and well you're not my dad, you're my brother. Please let me go. I promise we won't do anything. You can't control my entire life ok?" Adrian said softly as she grabbed my arm.

I shook my head. "No, you're too young. It's... It's not safe. Please don't go." I begged her, but she knew I had already caved.

"Darin I'm sorry, but I'm going ok?" She asks again. I know she wants my approval. Needs my approval, but she will go weather I give it or not. So very slowly I nod and a wide grin spreads across her face. She jumps up and hugs me.

"Thank you so much Darin." She whispers in my ear.

When we pull apart she suddenly remembers something.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, well demands is more like it.

I shrug. "I'm getting on a plane and leaving." I say.

There is no point in lying to her. She would find out sooner or later.

I expected her to be sad, shocked, or confused, but angry? No, that wasn't Adrian, and yet it stung even more when her palm collided with my cheek.

What the hell?

"What the hell Adrian?!" I half yelled because we were in a public place. She looked at me utterly disgusted, pure anger in her eyes.

"How could you do that? Just leave with no notice. Not tell us where you are going or when you will be back. Hayden was bawling her eyes out this morning! She was crying so loudly I could hear her at the bus stop! How could you do that to her?! She loves you you selfish prick, & when she finally has you you're just going to leave her? She needs you Darin! You can't just go! What about Gabby? What will she think when she realizes her brother is gone again? You can't leave us Darin!" She yells as tears stream down her face.

Garrett looks at her with concern all over his face, but he knows better than to try and comfort her.

She isn't that kind of girl. In fact if he did she would probably try to deck him right there.

Her words are like another slap to the face.

Selfish prick? Leaving makes me a selfish prick? I thought I already was one for being over my family's death?! God I'm so stupid.

She inhales and says something that completely breaks me.

"Mom & dad would be so utterly disappointed in you for abandoning us." She whispers.

And that was all it took.

A single tear fell from my eyes as I tried to blink it away. Adrian was gone, but her words stayed with me.

"Mom & dad would be so utterly disappointed in you for abandoning us." She whispers.

Another tear falls as I remember how betrayed she'd looked. Her words were on a loop in his mind.

Mom & dad would be so utterly disappointed in you for abandoning us.

Mom & dad.

Utterly disappointed.

I shuddered as I felt the tears falling freely down my face.

I failed them. I failed them again.

I fell to the ground as the tears broke all the way through and I fell into uncontrollable sobs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How was Chapter 17? Were you surprised that Adrian was there? What will Darin do now? Will he come back? What do you think?