CHAPTER 20: DARED

Dedicated to @tanakaashley

Fae's P.O.V.

Darkness. Empty. Falling. I was falling. Falling into nothing.

Jerking awake, my eyes widened. I was panting as sweat and tears ran down my face. I quickly threw the blanket off my and stood up. My legs felt like jelly. I turned to find Hayden in a deep sleep, with his face submerged into the pillow. His shoulder blades rose and fell as he slept.

I was still heaving heavily, thirsty. I was so thirsty. I walked along the dark walls of the house to the light of the kitchen. I walked up to the counter, without grabbing a glass I leaned in and drank straight from the tap.

"Angel?"

I whipped around in fear and found Asher standing behind me, with only sweatpants hung low on his hips. I wiped water that trailed down my chin with the back of my hand.

"How... what... I..." The shock coursed through me. I couldn't stand I slumped to the ground on my knees. My hands were shaking as I looked at them.

"Hey. What's wrong? Angel? Angel?!"

His voice felt distant. I felt dizzy. I felt myself falling backwards.

A minute later, I opened my eyes barely. Strong arms cradled my body, warm hands carrying me bridal style. I was scared that he was going to drop me, so I wrapped my arms around his neck lightly.

"Asher." I whispered. "I want...". Tears streamed down my face as I couldn't speak. I wanted Hayden, I wanted him to tell me everything was going to be ok.

"Ssshhhh. It's going to be ok. It's just a nightmare. Just a nightmare, that's it."

He cooed in my ear. He sat us down on the couch, I was lying across is lap, with his arms around me. I felt so exhausted, so tired. I just wanted to sleep.

"It's ok, don't fight it. Go to sleep. I'm right here. I'll never leave, right here besides you." He brushed his soft lips across my forehead as my lids felt heavy.

I closed my eyes and invited the darkness in.

Hayden's P.O.V.

I stirred, then moved my arm to pull Fae closer to me, missing her warmth. When I felt around the bed and didn't feel her. I lifted my head out of the pillow and opened my eyes. She wasn't in the room. Where did she go? Bathroom? I walked over to the bathroom door and knocked. "Fae?"

When I didn't get an answer, I opened the door and found the bathroom empty. I turned on the bedroom light and head down the hallway. My eyes caught the light shining under Asher's bedroom door. Fuck no. No fucking way he was back.

I threw open the door and found it empty, with clothes and things scattered everywhere. I ran down the stairs. He wouldn't dare! I was going to kill him. 

I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw them. Asher was holding Fae in his lap on the sofa. He caressed her cheek with the back of her palm, staring at her. Anger flared in me, I wanted to rip his face off. Why was he touching her? Why was she down here with him? Did...did Asher have feelings for Fae?

"Asher!" I growled loudly, I stomped over to them. Then I saw Fae up close in his arms. She had dried tears on her face, dark circles under her closed eyes, and looked frail. "What the fuck did you do?!" I yelled quietly.

Asher got up, lightly laying Fae back on the sofa, putting a pillow in place of his lap. He walked up to me. Both of us were the same height, but Asher was slightly more built than I. We were wearing identical sweatpants, with no shirts on. My eyes flickered to Fae who was wearing my shirt and only under ware underneath. Thank God the shirt fell to her thighs, or I would have lost it on Asher.