Chapter Thirteen

Dylan

                It really sucks to be ignored. You feel completely invisible, totally irrelevant and disposable. What sucks even more than being ignored is being ignored by someone you have feelings for. When that happens, you feel like you’re being continuously run over by a Mack Truck with every thought of them.

            It’s been a month since I heard from Dean or as Dre and I call him, DHD or Dick Head Douche. The night of his birthday when he left out of my driveway like my house was on fire was the last time I heard from the guy. I haven’t had the balls to call or text him. In all honesty it’s my stubbornness that’s keeping me from reaching out. He’s the one that left me, he’s the one that acted strange for half of our dinner, he should be the one that reaches out first. So I’ve waited, and waited, and waited, all to no avail. I guess he’s truly not interested anymore.

            Last week I came to terms with that and cried every single night. My heart hurt so fucking bad and I couldn’t explain why, it still does and I still can’t. Dre stayed over and we had girl time but it seemed like every conversation somehow came back around to Karter Dean Jarreau leading me to tears. After multiple conversations ending the same way Dre avoided anything that remotely reminded me of him like the plague and for that I’m thankful.

            Today is the last day I have of work before I take off to go to my mom’s for the Thanksgiving holiday. I haven’t been to her place since last Christmas and we haven’t really had a chance to talk since my birthday. I’ve been so busy and consumed in work and…him, that I haven’t made time for the most important woman in my life.

            “Trevino!” Reed calls out behind me as I walk out the front doors of the hospital to my car.

            I stop and turn around with a smile on my face knowing exactly what it is he wants. “Yes Reed?” I ask sweetly and flutter my lashes.

            He laughs at my awkwardness, “Don’t try and weasel your way out of it now! You and I are going bowling tonight, you promised!”

            I sigh, knowing that he’s right and decide to get it over with. Maybe once he sees how bad I am at this he won’t ask again. “You’re right,” I admit, “I’ll be ready at seven.”   

            He grins that sexy grin of his and nods before sauntering off to his car. I roll my eyes and throw my bags into my backseat. Once I sit down and start my car up I call Dre.

            “What’s up girl? Don’t tell me you’re upset over DHD again!” she groans as soon as she answers.

            Even though she used the nickname my heart still pinches at the thought of him. “No,” I say exhaling a deep breath, “I’m going bowling with Reed, from work, in a little while and-”

            “Whoa whoa whoa wait a minute!” she interrupts, “You’re actually going to do something tonight other than lie around in your underwear and eat ice cream?”

            I roll my eyes, “That was ONE time!”

            “Yeah yeah! So tell me about the date!”

            “Not a date, just two friends hanging out,” I correct her.

            She laughs loudly, “I recall you saying something similar to that the last time and didn’t you almost kiss him?”

            I sigh loud enough so she can hear me, “ANYWAY! I called to see if you wanted to go?”

            She’s silent for a while but then I hear her talking in the background and realize she must have the phone muffled so I can’t hear. The conversation she’s having with what sounds like a man goes on for a little longer and I roll my eyes at her rudeness. Leave it to Andrea to be in the middle of a conversation and start another one with someone else.