Chapter Six

Dylan

            All day today I haven’t been able to knock the grin off of my face. Imagine changing bed pans with a huge smile plastered across your lips. Super hard to do but with thoughts of Dean and our upcoming date Saturday I can’t help it. Via text I informed Andrea about it as soon as I got to work and she invited herself over to my house later tonight. Now I can only hope Dean doesn’t come over again because I haven’t had the chance to tell her about our little sleepovers. As much as I love Dre she is known for blowing things out of proportion. If I’m not careful with how I present the news to her she’ll make this mole hill into Mount Everest.

            “How’s your lunch going?” Reed asks breaking my train of thought.

I look up into those gorgeous baby blues of his and smile, gesturing to the seat across from me. “It’s better now that I have some company.”

He smiles that sneaky little grin of his in respinse and takes a seat.

I really like hanging out with Reed. He’s really easy going and work always flies by when we cover the same wing.

“So I was wondering,” he starts, “if you’d happen to like Justin Timberlake or Ben Affleck?”

My eyebrow shoots up in question but I play along, “Yes to JT, hell no to Affleck…why?”

He finishes the bit of sandwich he was scarfing down before he answers. “I was wondering if you’d like to accompany me to see Runner Runner tomorrow night. I can’t promise no Affleck but I’m sure there’ll be plenty of JT to make up for it.” He smirks at me mischievously and his eyes glimmer.

I don’t stop the giggle that escapes my mouth, “You don’t have to be so formal Reed. It’s not like we’re going to a ball it’s just the movies!”

I watch the blush creep up his neck and redden his pale cheeks. “Sorry, I just haven’t done this in a while.”

I cock my head to the side, “Done what?”

The redness spreads across his face and then it clicks, he’s asking me on a date.

I bite my lip at the corner and look away, not really knowing what to say. I don’t want to make things awkward and turn him down. What if rejecting him messes up our friendship? But I’m going on a date with Dean Saturday…does that make me a ho? Oh dear Lord where is Dre when you need her?

            Instead of wallowing in the awkward silence, I decide to get up and put some distance between us.

“I have to go make my rounds but text me with the details later,” I say while I throw my trash away and rush out of the break room like it’s on fire. I need time to process. It’s not a date unless both parties agree that it is right? Right?

            “Bitch what? Let me get this straight,” Dre says standing up from her seat on the edge of my bed, “Both Karter and Reed asked you out today, both of them are fine as hell, and Karter has been sleeping his sexy ass over EVERY night?”

I roll my eyes almost as dramatically as she’s acting. “Would you sit down? I did not say every night! But yes that seems to be the case. Although Reed and I never set in stone that tomorrow is a date.”

She waves her hand back and forth wafting Pinot Grigio scented air into my face. “Forget all of that! Clearly it’s a damned date D-Rose and you know it, for whatever reason you just don’t want to admit it out loud.”

            The way Dre can see right through me bugs me out sometimes. The fact that she knows my innermost thoughts before I can even materialize them is freaky.