Chapter Twenty- Eight

Dylan

"Show time."

With those two words Connor leaps over the weeds and out of my sight. I know it's only a matter of time before everything goes to shịt so I start to work the bindings that hold me.

"Dylan!" I hear Karter call and my heart speeds. He sounds so unbearably close and worried which is probably knocking his concentration off. He has no clue he's walking into a war zone.

"You can call her all you want," Connor yells, "She can't say anything back!"

I hear the ground shift and freeze my actions so I can hear better.  

"Where. Is. She," Karter grits, "I'm only asking once Connor."

The light grip he has on his control can be heard in his voice. Through blurry tear filled eyes I frantically pull at the binds on my hands and feet, begging my wolf to get off of her lazy ass and help. Connor clearly used his wolf's strength to tie me up, I can't even flex my hands. I'll need my wolf's strength to break free.

When mentally screaming for my wolf to take action does nothing I start my search for anything sharp to maybe cut myself free. My eyes catch sight of an old tin can top buried in the ground and although I'll most definitely have tetanus if I cut myself on it should do the trick.

I don't give myself time to think about it and flop over onto my side, ignoring the pain in my arm from the short drop. This slight pain is nothing compared to what I'll feel if I don't save Dean.

The dirt is cold beneath my belly, my shirt rising up as I crawl like a worm across the earth. I can feel sharp jabs from sticks and rocks cutting and poking the soft skin of my abdomen but I don't stop, reaching the can top just as the argument between Connor and Dean escalates.     

"Why are you doing this Con?" Dean asks as I push and pull my hands across the makeshift blade as fast as I can.

I want to scream for joy when the first tendril pops on the rope just as I hear a loud growl that makes my heart stop and Connor scream, "Fủck you! You got my brother killed!"

His words are so filled with poison I feel infected from yards away. My neck hurts from straining to see over the weeds but when I feel a weight fall from my wrist I direct my attention back to my improvised escape. The bracelet Connor gave me lays there in the dirt taunting me, reminding me of the friendship I thought we had and the web of deceit he weaved.

Anger, like a flickering ember erupts into a raging flame within me and with one enraged pull the binds around my wrists are completely severed. Shock and adrenaline pump through my veins and without overthinking I give the binds around my ankles the same treatment.

Immediately I start trying to shift, as a human I'm a distraction but in my wolf form I could be useful.

I focus all of my thoughts on my wolf trying to channel her like Karter showed me. I can feel slight tremors begin on the very surface of my skin. They slowly sink deeper and deeper until I can feel them quaking my bones. My nails instinctively dig into the dirt as I sit up on all fours. I try and concentrate on the feel of the cold dirt slithering into my nail beds instead of the tormenting scorching lines of fire shooting through every nerve ending of my body.

My human form protests against the shift, trying with all it's might not to bend to the will of the beast inside of me. The first bone breaks, my right shoulder, forcing me to a downward dog position but I don't allow myself to scream. I'm biting my lip so hard blood stains my teeth in waves, I can feel it coating the whiteness of my teeth, taste it. The drawing of blood only speeds the process forcing my incisors to extend. I regret not listening to Dean about letting my wolf out more, this wouldn't be as hard on me now.