Chapter Eight

Dylan

            I didn’t even realize I had fallen asleep until I woke up. My nostrils fill with his scent the minute I can register smells and it makes me smile. He stayed. I look up at him sheepishly, it isn’t the first time I’ve woken up to him but I get this same embarrassed feeling every time I do. His pale green orbs connect with mine and I want to hide my face in his shirt like a child, however his gaze has me stuck.

I feel his arm tighten around my back and I slide closer to him, so close I have to drape my leg over his to get comfortable. It’s almost like I can feel the atmosphere shift and my heart rate speeds in accordance. I watch his eyes flicker to my lips quickly before he connects with my eyes again. I lick my lips in preparation and my eyes flutter closed as I lean slightly forward awaiting the contact. I can feel his lips are mere millimeters away from mine, what feels like live sparks flying from his mouth to my own. He lingers for just a second too long and fate decides to interrupt. His phone rings out loudly and we both audibly groan causing us to laugh. I get up and give him some privacy, deciding to cook breakfast for once.

            I’m surprised that I can somewhat hear Dean’s conversation from in the kitchen and drop the pan I’m grabbing from under the counter when I hear him say my name.

He immediately stops speaking and comes around the corner with a tight smile, “I’m going to go get some orange juice from the store. I used it all the last time I was here.”

I smirk and nod knowing he just wants more privacy for his call. I assume whomever he’s talking to asked where he was and I feel a little easier knowing it couldn’t be a girl since he used my name. It isn’t until I’m putting the cinnamon rolls in the oven that I realize he said Dylan, not Rose.

            I try to get my mind off of my jealous thoughts and think back on yesterday. The entire day was weird and yet so satisfying. After that stupid rodent in my bushes ran me off from Reed the previous night I thought I would feel a little short changed in the morning. He was about to kiss me and I was about to let him until that damned rabbit rustled the bushes. I thought I would be upset, but I couldn’t help but feel relieved. It dawned on me that although Reed is very attractive, he’s also my co-worker. My track record with relationships is not that great so more than likely we’d have a few months together before something would go wrong and we’d break up. Then everything would be awkward at work until one of us quit. Even though Lucifer Lydia isn’t my favorite person to work under, my patients make it worth it. I’ve worked at this hospital for two years. It’s the first and only place I applied to once I graduated from college. As tiring as the work is most days, it’s my home. I silently hope that Reed shifts his affections to someone else, someone who’s available in every way.

            My mind falls to thoughts of the way my night ended and I can’t help but smile at the memory as I let my Murphy bed back down. Seeing Dean here when I walked in shocked me but the initial astonishment faded the second I saw his smile. As he checked me out I did the same and the way his tight gray undershirt clung to and defined his every ab muscle underneath the plaid button up he wore nearly made me fan myself like a Southern Belle.

The romance of the scene wasn’t lost on me. Every rose petal and candle lit made my heart swoon in girlish delight. Dinner was great and although it was light and a child could’ve made it, the fact that he went a step further than sandwiches is duly noted. All in all Dean earned some major brownie points with me and he’s obviously earned some with Dre since I assume she’s the one who got him into my place.

            “So I got juice without pulp this time. I hope you don’t mind,” Dean yells from the front door, closing it with his foot.