Chapter Twenty-Four

Karter

“Just tell me what I want to know and we’ll turn you over to the Elders,” Grey tries to reason with the man tied to the chair in front of us, “Their punishment will be harsh but a lot swifter than him.”

I growl and flash my glowing eyes on cue. We’ve been playing this good cop bad cop routine for weeks with different members of Dark Wood to no avail. It’s driving me crazy that we’ve had no breakthroughs but even more crazy that I can’t seem to enjoy this the way I would’ve before. Seeing my enemy tied to a chair at my will would’ve sent me over the edge with excitement. But now all I want is for this all to be over as soon as possible so that I can get back home to my mate.

She’s been feeling, off, for the past few days, I can feel it. Her moods have been so up and down like they were when she first shifted. I send a quick prayer to the goddess that she isn’t going into heat. Although everyone in the pack knows she is my mate it doesn’t change the fact that we haven’t completed the mating bond. She may wear my mark but it doesn’t truly mean anything until I bear hers. Unmated weres in the pack will have a tougher time than they already do containing themselves if she’s in heat. I don’t even want to think about the increase of male weres here now that we’ve got so many from Dark Wood as prisoners.

My mind immediately flashes to how close she’s been with Connor lately. A few weeks ago she couldn’t stand to be around him and now he’s the one I have to talk to in order to get messages through to her. He’s been with her twenty-four seven and it’s getting to me. I bet he’s been sleeping at our house. He better not have slept in the bed with her or I’ll string him up by his balls. I know my mind is lacing together events, grasping at straws and jumping to conclusions but my heart still beats frantically at the thought and my mood quickly sours.

I almost miss my cue, a subtle wink from Grey. I’m supposed to flip the chair over onto it’s back and snarl at the man while he’s helpless on the ground. Instead I let my frustration get the best of me and backhand the hêll out of him.

The chair and the man in it flip over onto it’s side, knocking him out cold.  

“What the hêll Karter?” Grey asks, rushing to sit the man up.

“He’ll be fine Nurse Betty,” I grumble, flinging the blood from his lip off of my hand.

“Maybe you should take a break,” he suggests in that tone that let’s me know it’s not really a suggestion.

He’s going to make one hell of a dad. I pity my little niece or nephew.

I salute him sarcastically, “Aye aye Captain.”

I hear him grumbling behind my back as I walk upstairs but I don’t respond. I’m looking for a fight but not with him.

*

Walking into my home I’m immediately hit in the nose by two familiar scents. Connor and Rose are both here, and they’re close. Her scent is everywhere now that she’s moved here permanently, all over the pack house and the grounds but it’s strongest and sweetest here.

I round the staircase and immediately see something that makes my wolf barrel his way to the surface. Rose and Connor are on the couch, my fûcking couch that I fûcking bought with my fûcking money, snuggled up like a couple. Connor has his arm slung around the back of the couch, behind Rose, playing with a strand of her hair and she’s snuggled into his side. She’s sitting too close to him like - like he’s me!

“Get the fûck up!” I growl, causing Dylan to jump into him for protection. That just makes me angrier and I reach to grab Connor up myself.

He snatches his arm away and stands up from the couch.