Chapter Seven

Karter

                “I’m not sure sir but they looked cozy to me. They came pretty close to kissing on the porch but I kept trying to keep my wolf steady in the small space of the bushes beside her house which made them move. It scared her so she went inside,” Jason says making me want to punch a hole through the wall.

Who in the fuck is this Summers idiot and why is he around my fucking mate! And almost kissing her no less! And why in the fuck is she allowing another man into her personal space! Allowing him to touch what’s mine! Pulling her fucking hair behind her ear, I’ll pull his fucking arms off and beat him with them! I pace back and forth across the floor huffing. As if I needed anything else to piss me off today.

            I woke up to news of two pack members injured and in the infirmary from fighting one another. They’re two of the neighbors who turned each other in under suspicion of treason. Apparently Mr. Leigh didn’t take too kindly to being accused of criminal acts against his Alpha and decided he’d teach Mr. Lombardi a lesson. The idiots are being treated and then forced to separate. I’ve had men all day moving their things to houses on opposite ends of the property.

I groan and bang my head against the wall, “Anything else Jason?”

He takes a moment to answer as if he’s mulling something over, “No sir, nothing else. I’ll continue to watch over her like you asked. Would you like for me to get rid of the human?”

The thought to do just that crosses my mind causing me to fight it back, a few times.

“No Jason. Thank you for your service and loyalty, but all I need from you is to protect her.”

He replies with, “Yes Alpha,” and snaps our mind-link.

I look out the window as I plop down into my office chair, the weather outside looks as gloomy as I feel. The sky is an awful shade of murky gray; the white clouds and lightning are the only illumination in the sky. The earth beneath looks as if it’s caught in a constant black and white photograph. I sigh as the rain begins to fall from the pregnant rain clouds above. Jason is now stuck in this weather because of me. I grab my cell phone and shoot a text to Dylan’s friend Andrea asking her to take Dylan out until our date later.

It wasn’t until I was pulled into an alley the other day while I was in town that I found out what Dre is. The fireball she conjured from her hand to threaten me with gave it all away. She wanted to know what a werewolf wanted with her best friend and threatened to burn my balls off if I didn’t give an answer that she found suitable.

I couldn’t hurt her seeing as she’s Rose’s best friend so I had to tell her that we’re mates. After she squealed and jumped up and down for ten minutes I made her promise to act like nothing had changed and she agreed. I of course would feel more comfortable knowing a wolf was protecting Rose but I guess a witch is the next best thing.

“Once a witch named Andrea arrives you can come home and get out of this weather,” I mind-link Jason.

I immediately cut our link and fire up my computer before he can try to convince me to allow him to stay. Jason is by far one of the most loyal wolves in my pack and he won’t like leaving his post. I can smell the warm stew my mother is cooking and smile. By the time he gets here it’ll be fresh off the stove to warm him up. He’s been watching Rose for me since I met her, braving the elements, only switching out with me to come home, change clothes, and rest. It’s about time he gets a real break before he ends up sick. It’s hard for us wolves to get colds but when we do, watch out. People say men make bad patients’ well male wolves are so much worse.