Chapter Twenty-Five

Karter

Two weeks, one hour, twenty minutes and twenty…two seconds since Rose left me. I got by the first few days telling myself it wasn’t a permanent thing. That any minute she’d walk through that door and we’d make up and I’d get to hold her again. Goddess, it’s been so long since I’ve held her. I regret even coming into the house angry that day. Maybe if I had just been calm and not pissed her off by accusing her, we could’ve talked things through and I wouldn’t be in this mess.

I’ve apologized to Connor since then. He came by to check on me last week and to see why I hadn’t been at the pack house in almost a week. I didn’t have the guts to tell him I missed Rose so much I could hardly get out of the bed to use the bathroom or wash my own asṣ. Eating has been nearly out of the question and pack duties have been the last thing on my mind. I gave him the location of where we’re holding the members of Dark Wood with orders to help Grey with whatever he needs until I’m back on my feet.

My wolf keeps trying to come out, to force me to go after her. He wants me to be a caveman and throw her over my shoulder or drag her from Andrea’s. Kicking and screaming if I have to. I’ll admit a part of me wants it too, just so that I can feel her near me again but the bigger part of me resists against the urge. If she doesn’t want to be here I won’t force her to be. As much as it pains me to be apart I don’t want her here if she doesn’t want to be, if she doesn’t want…me. The thought of her rejecting me quakes me to the core, shaking my heart loose from it’s downtrodden position. 

A series of texts come through to my phone, making it go off repeatedly. Andrea, Grey, and Denise have all texted me a SOS that something is wrong with Dylan. Immediately I jump up and put shoes on my feet. I can’t feel any difference but our connection is thin and muddled. I try to weave through the debris left from the hurricane that wrecked us two weeks ago but I can’t tell which feelings are hers and which are mine.

I don’t even turn the ignition off in my car before I hop out and run up the stairs of Andrea’s house. The door’s open so I rush inside.

“Dylan! Grey! Andrea!” I get no reply, making me even more nervous, “Somebody fûcking answer me!”

The door slams closed behind me and I hear it lock before it dawns on me what’s going on. I would laugh but I feel too pathetic.

“Little witch! Once I get my hands on you,” I grumble walking further into the house.

Rose is on the loveseat facing the archway in the middle of Andrea’s baby blue living room. She hasn’t spoken but there’s a mix of relief and annoyance in her eyes. I can feel the tightness in my chest leaving with each step towards her.

“Say something,” I whisper, my voice as broken as I am. I’m not sure of the face I’m making but I assume it’s something between anxious and thankful as all hell.

“She can’t,” Andrea informs, stepping out from the shadows, “It was the only way I could keep her from ruining this.”

“You parent trapping us again Sabrina?” I ask, a smile forcing it’s way onto my face.

She waves her hand dismissively and I fly across the room and into the chair across from Dylan.

“Bet you never saw the teenage witch do that,” she sasses, placing her hands on her hips. “Now, you two are going to play nice and talk this thing out. Grey, Denise and I went through a lot of trouble to make this happen so get it together. I love ya’ D-Rose but you’ve got to go. If I hear you talk about Karter again I’m going to cast a spell to make myself deaf.”

With that she sashays out of the room like the wrecking ball she is.

“Some friends we’ve got huh?” I half-laugh, trying to break the ice.