Chapter Four

Karter

            After we wrestled on the bed for a while I let her pin me just because I liked the feeling of her bra-less breasts on my chest. I had to act like I was really surprised that she pinned me down so she wouldn’t catch on. The hardness of her nipples while our bodies were connected wasn’t easy to ignore and it made me hard, thoroughly ending our little game.

I moved her off of my body and slid her to my side, wrapping my arm around her shoulders while we watched TV. She told me how the girl from the door, Dre, is her best friend and wanted her to catch up on some show called Pretty Little Liars so that when they hung out next she would be all caught up. We ended up watching every episode she had on her DVR and let me tell you there were a lot. Initially I was annoyed with it. Four little girls who wear clothes no high-school girl I’ve ever seen wear running around looking for clues about someone who keeps sending them texts and calling them bitches, I didn’t get the appeal.

But I must say the more I watched, the more into it I got. Dare I say, I actually like the damned show. Rose forced me to get the popcorn every time the bowl got low because she didn’t want to miss anything and in order to protect my manhood I acted like it was a joy to get away from the dramatic show but I definitely tuned into my wolf hearing from the kitchen so I wouldn’t be lost once I got back. Eventually we watched every episode she had recorded and fell asleep in each other’s arms after a drawn out discussion of our main suspects for who ‘A’ is.

            This morning I woke up wrapped up in her. Her hair is a bird’s nest on top of her head, probably thanks to the sweating she did because of my elevated temperature. I look down at her and smile at the little furrow in her brow. What in the hell could she be thinking about so hard in her sleep? I shake my head and chuckle softly as I unravel myself from her body slowly so that I don’t wake her. As much as I’d love to stay here another day and hang out, she has work and so do I. I know she gets up at five so I have to get out of here quickly to avoid seeing her.

I fold her father’s clothes I left on the floor last night and sit them on the couch along with a note saying thanks for taking care of me and that I’ll see her soon. The only thing I want to do right now is spend every second with her, getting to know her in every way, and I know if I see those hazel eyes I’ll break and stay.

            I ease out the front door and make sure Jason, a trusted member of my pack from New Orleans, is outside like I told him to be. We nod to each other and I hop into my car he drove here. I’ve known him since we were children and someone needs to be protecting Rose while I’m gone.

I speed to the pack house, the sooner I find out who’s behind this the sooner I can be with my mate.

The minute I walk in the door my mother throws her arms around my neck and then steps back to look at me before slapping my chest.

“You had me worried half to death! When I say come home that means bring your ass home Karter Dean Jarreau!” she scolds as I rub my chest and smile my winning smile at her. She can’t stay mad when I smile at her, no one can. She hugs me again and I can hear her muttering in Creole.

Once she finally lets me go my father grabs me in a quick hug and we walk into the office to talk. I see my grandma sitting in the corner knitting and she gives me a knowing smile and a nod before I get into the office.

My father sits down on the edge of my desk and I sit in the chair in front of him before he starts, “Son you know you really scared us. Your mother was near going on a rampage and killing any and every one that seemed suspicious.”

I rub the back of my neck and smirk, my mother’s Creole, enough said.

“Yeah I figured as much. These are the bullets that got pulled out of me, maybe you can find something on them,” I state, sitting Rose’s stolen mouthwash top on the desk. “Are there any clues as to who it was that attacked me?”