Chapter 120: The Wedding of Connor Anderson and Tasha Price

Start from the beginning

Connor frowned slightly, "That's fair. Tasha doesn't want to hurt you, you know — Tasha, I believe she wants to think you have a crush on her at best."

"A crush?" Gavin looked over at the Android with brows raised. "Seriously?"

"Tasha... is very good at ignoring what she doesn't want to see." Connor's LED flashed yellow for a moment. "I think deep down she knows it's more than that. And I think that deep down, she knows she has feelings for you as well."

Gavin looked away from him. "She doesn't have feelings for me."

"You're a good detective — I've known you've seen her pupils dilate when she's looked at you, and how she doesn't deny your... friendly advances."

"She's just a nice person." Gavin replied with a shrug. "Finding me attractive doesn't mean she has feelings for me."

"You are difficult to deal with, you know that?" Connor sighed. "Look — I just — I need you to promise that if anything happens to me, you'll be there for her."

Gavin glanced sideways at the Android, "What the hell does that mean?"

"If something happens to me, you'll make her happy. You'll give her a reason to keep going. You have to."

"Do you plan on checking out any time soon?"

"No, but I wanted to bring this up now just in case."

Gavin sighed, "You don't get it, do you? I've broken her heart."

"That was before."

"It doesn't matter. It still hurts her. I know it does."

"Gavin—"

"I was stupid. Maybe if I hadn't pushed her away —" He cut himself off, refusing to think of the possible life he could have had with her.

"Yes, you did break her heart — but Tasha is strong. She is the most loving and caring person — you know that. You two are opposites, but you work good together. You changed for her, because you wanted to be in her life and make her happy."

"Does it make you jealous?" Gavin asked, "When I flirt with her?"

"Sometimes." Connor admitted, "But when I see her laughing or smiling, it's hard to be anything but happy."

"I won't try anything, you know. Part of me wanted to object your marriage." Gavin said after a while of silence. "There's been so many times I've wanted to kiss her — but I know it'll just hurt her. And I don't want to do that again, Connor."

"I know you won't. It may not be my place to say, but it's alright for you to love her..."

"She just won't reciprocate it." Gavin sighed.

"Maybe not, but we both know seeing her happy is enough."

"Would it be enough for you?" Gavin looked at him once more. "If she left you, if she hated your guts, you'd still want what's best for her?"

"Of course." Connor answered immediately. "I've thought about it on more than one occasion. I — I'm not human. I can't give her things a human partner can. I can't give her children. I... She may be a hybrid, but she is still human, and given her genetic code is still majority human, it points to her aging as a human would... I will lose her one day. She will die. While I will not. It is a thought I try to ignore, but the reality is I know what the risks are of loving her, and I'm willing to do whatever I have to, to make her happy."

Gavin smiled slightly, "You really do love her, huh? I used to hate your guts, you know."

"Do you not still?"