Thirty-Eight.

Houston, Texas

"Caiah got me sick," Nicki told Meek over the phone.

"Word?" Meek chuckled.

Nicki giggled a little. "Yes. He gave me the freaking stomach flu. I feel horrible. Like I'm dying or something."

"Yo, chill. You saying too much now," he laughed.

"No, Rihmeek. I'm so serious. I feel terrible."

Meek yawned a little before speaking.

"Go to the hospital or something."

"I'm good love, enjoy."

He chuckled. "Mess. When you coming back to LA? I miss ya little ass."

"I'll come back next weekend."

"Good. We can go on a date."

Nicki smiled to herself. "Where?"

"You like bowling? I been wanting to take you bowling, but I didn't know if you liked that."

"Yes. I actually love bowling, Rihmeek."

Meek chuckled. "Aight, good. I'ma call you back later, though. I gotta get back to practice."

"Okay. I love you. I'll be at your next game."

"I love you too, baby. I'll see you soon."

They hung up and Nicki smiled to herself. Getting up, she got herself together and did her hair. Then, she quickly laid back down as she got sharp stomach pains.

"Ugh, I feel so freaking horrible," she said to herself.

Once her body calmed down, she got up, clutching her stomach. She moved slowly to Caiah's room, seeing him sleeping. He looked horrible. That flu was really taking a toll on him. Nicki went downstairs and got some water and started making herself some soup.

"Nika?" She heard.

She turned around, seeing her mother walk in.

"Hi, Mommy. How did your doctors appointment go?" She smiled.

"Well, um," Carol said.

She sighed a little and sat down.

"Nika, come here."

She walked over and Carol pulled her into a hug.

"You know I love you and I'm so proud of the woman you're becoming," Carol smiled.

"I love you too. You're scaring me," Nicki laughed a little, looking at her mom.

Carol sighed. "Well, Nika. My cancer is back."

Nicki's heart dropped. "What?"

"They said that it's spreading faster than the last time. I'm sure I'll be alright, though," Carol smiled.

Nicki immediately started crying her eyes out. She hugged her mom, crying hard. Carol sighed.

"It's okay, Nika. I'll be fine."

--
Los Angeles, California

"Aye, you coming to this party tonight?" One of Meek's classmates asked him.

He shrugged. "I don't know. I got shit to handle tonight. I'll see though."

He dapped him up and walked off. As soon as he got out of the classroom, he turned his phone on and started walking towards his car. He got in the car and started driving off. Seeing eight missed calls from Nicki. Concerned, he FaceTimed her.

"M-Meek," she answered immediately.

Her face was red and full of tears.

"What happened? You good?!" He asked, his heart now pounding.

"My mom's c-cancer is back," she cried. "She's going to die. I don't want her to die."

Meek sighed and changed his route. He hopped on the highway.

"Don't think like that, Nicki. Everything is gone be okay. I'm sure it will."

She kept crying while Meek drove and tried to comfort her. Suddenly, she put the phone on the bed and ran off. Meek glanced at the phone, confused.

When Nicki came back, she wiped her mouth and hung up. Meek shook his head and pulled up to his apartment. Going up, he went inside and packed a few clothes and his necessities. Then, he left and hit the road.

The drive was long but Meek pulled up to Nicki's house and knocked. Carol answered and conversed with him for a few minutes before he went up to Nicki's room.

"Baby," he said, walking in.

Seeing Nicki in her bed staring at nothing, he went over and picked her up, kissing all over her face.

"Baby," he repeated.

She hugged him tightly and started crying again. He sighed, rubbing her back.

"I brought you some snacks. Let's talk."

"Okay," she sniffled.

They sat on her bed and she wiped her eyes.

"I don't want her to die..."

"You can't think of the worst, Nic. You gotta think positive thoughts. Don't shut yourself out. That's not healthy," he told her.

She nodded.

"I can't imagine life without her. She's all I've known since I was born. Fuck cancer. How can cancer just take a child's mother from them?" Nicki said, a few tears falling.

"Everything gone be fine," he said, pulling her into a hug.

She sniffled. "I sure hope so. When she told me her cancer was back, I got so sick to my stomach."

"You feel better?"

"A little. I just want to be held."

With that being said, they laid down and Meek held her until they both fell asleep.

--

Waking up, Nicki went into the bathroom, throwing up on the floor. She stumbled a little and cried silently, trying to go back into her room. Stumbling more, she couldn't breath.

"Meek," she said, making little to no sound.

Suddenly she dropped and the impact of her body woke Meek. He squinted, looking over. Seeing Nicki laying on the floor, he jumped up quickly.

"Baby," he said, shaking her.

She didn't respond and she was barely breathing. Meek got up, putting on his clothes and shoes. He grabbed his keys and picked Nicki up, rushing downstairs. He hurried out to his car and drove off to the hospital.

Arriving, he got out and grabbed Nicki, rushing in.

"I need help!" He hollered.

Some doctor rushed up grabbing Nicki. Meek followed him as they put her on a stretcher and put an oxygen mask on her face. A nurse questioned Meek as they went to an emergency room.

Meek watched them press down on Nicki's chest while some others hooked her up to machines.

"Sir, we need you to step out," a nurse said.

"Man, I'm not leaving her in there alone," Meek said, his heart racing.

The nurse sighed. "She's going to be okay. We're trying to figure out what caused her to faint."

She led Meek out and calmed him down before going back inside. Meek sighed, sitting on the fancy bench. He put his head in his hands, praying that Nicki would be okay.

--
i'll try to update again tonight. it's short but chapter 39 will be short and 40 will be long

chay 🍍