Thirty-Seven.

Houston, Texas

A few days later, Nicki was back in Houston. She and Meek had came to an agreement that it was best if they remained friends and nothing more. Although they missed each other like crazy, they decided to hold off on getting back together for the sake of their relationship.

With Nicki gone 24/7 on trips and Meek at practice and ball games 25/8, along with their college work, they just wouldn't have time for each other.

Waking up, Nicki stretched and got out of her bed. She went into her bathroom and brushed her teeth and washed her face before getting into the shower, cleansing herself.

Once she finished, she put her hair into two braids and went to her closet. She put on an oversized sweater and long socks. Going downstairs, she went into the kitchen seeing Caiah running around with his dog and her mom was cooking.

"Good morning," she spoke, going to the fridge.

Carol looked back. "Oh, good morning, Nika. Here's your plate. I was just about to have Caiah come get you."

Nicki laughed a little getting the orange juice out. She closed the refrigerator and grabbed her plate.

"Thank you, Mommy. Caiah, get your dog out of the kitchen."

"Come on, Smoky!" Caiah said, running out with his dog right behind him.

Nicki sat at the island and poured herself some orange juice. She said her prayer and then started eating.

"So, how was Paris?" Carol asked, cutting the stove off, looking at Nicki.

"I didn't tell you?" Nicki asked.

Carol laughed a little. "No. As soon as you got here you went straight to sleep."

"Oh, well it was nice. I was exhausted, but my pictures really came out great. I visited the Eiffel Tower, too," Nicki smiled.

"And your time in Los Angeles?"

Nicki glanced up at her, then back down at her plate. She cleared her throat a little.

"It was okay. I just got Caiah a gift then spent the rest of my time in my hotel room."

Carol nodded. "Well, while you were away, I took Caiah to the fair. He was telling me about some little girl he likes at school. He's growing up."

"He likes someone?" Nicki frowned. "He's like nine years old. Next thing you know I'll have to have the talk with him and teach him about condoms."

"Oh sweetie, you definitely don't know anything about condoms."

Nicki playfully rolled her eyes. "I know about them, I just don't use them. Now back to Caiah. He's too young to be liking people."

"Let him live a little. It's just a little crush. He said that she's really nice and polite. Plus she's smart. Ranked top two in his class and she's not number two," Carol said.

"I'm gonna let him live, but he's still too young to date," Nicki protested.

Carol laughed.

"You were 17 when you started dating, honey. That's also too young but I let you."

"I know right from wrong, though. I'm a responsible dater."

Carol scoffed, looking at Nicki.

"Responsible my ass. If I didn't put you on birth control I would've been a grandmother by now."

"Ugh, this isn't even about me. It's about Caiah. What are we gonna do about him?"

Nicki drank some of her juice and looked at her mom. Carol shook her head.

"We're gonna let him crush on whoever he wants to crush on. End of discussion. Now.. what's happening with you and Braxton?"

Nicki frowned. "I haven't talked to that creep in months, ugh. You know he tried to kiss me?"

"I thought you liked him."

"As a friend. Not as a boyfriend, ew."

Carol shrugged. "Do you still talk to that Bianca girl? She was really nice."

"Her name is Beyoncé and yes we're still friends. Ugh, you're so nosy mom."

"Well, my bad for wanting to know about my daughters life. I'm just trying to keep up," Carol chuckled.

Nicki smiled a little. She got up and washed her dish, then put the orange juice back. Walking over to Carol, she kissed her forehead.

"I'll be upstairs if you need me."

"Okay," Carol nodded.

--
Los Angeles, California

"Professor Whitley," Meek said, walking down to his professor's desk.

It was after his 8 AM class and he had a few questions. His prof. turned around and smiled at him. Meek cleared his throat.

"How may I help you?"

"So, uh, the feedback I received on my last essay confused me. You gave me a C saying that I didn't follow the guidelines, but I followed each step, even noting where I did. I didn't make any mistakes, so how did I earn a C?" Meek asked.

Professor Whitley took off his glasses, grabbing Meek's essay. He skimmed through it, then looked up at Meek.

"I may have made a little mistake. I'll look over this and give it back to you tomorrow."

"Aight, thanks."

He gave Meek a head nod and Meek left. Professor Whitley had to be his favorite because he was very down to earth and very fair. He always made time for his students and he had great teaching skills.

Meek went to the food court, getting himself a ten piece wing dinner with fries and a large raspberry lemonade. Taking his stuff to his car, he drove home and went inside. After getting himself situated, he ate and checked his schedule.

He had practice twice that week before he had to leave for an out of state game and for the last stage of Drafting. Sighing, he locked his phone and continued eating. Once he finished, he threw his trash away, did the dishes, then went into his room to take a nap.
____
| Two Weeks Later |

Meek dribbled the ball, shooting it. He made a three pointer, then wiped his sweat with his shirt. His coach passed the ball back to him and her shot it again, this time missing.

"You almost had it," his coach said. "Remember to keep your stance. Don't move when you shoot. Just keep your stance when you jump and flick your wrists."

Meek nodded as he caught the ball. He focused again and shot the ball. It hit the backboard and then went through the net.

"Alright, good. Your new coach is gonna work you ten times harder since you're on an official team now. You gotta be prepared."

"I'm prepared. I just been out of it all morning."

The coach chuckled throwing the ball to him.

"Not enough sleep?"

Meek shook his head. "I was up all night since I took a few naps earlier in the day. I'm good though. I'm good."

His coach nodded. They continued training until it was time for Meek to leave. He went to catch his flight back to L.A.

--
Houston, Texas

Candi passed Nicki the popcorn and slid into the seat next to her. Nicki yawned and covered her mouth before looking over at Candi, smiling.

"I missed coming to the movies with you," she said.

"I missed it too. You sleepy?"

Nicki nodded. "Yes. Caiah has the stomach flu so I was up all night with him."

"I hope you know that's contagious. You're gonna get sick," Candi said.

Nicki shrugged a little. "Eh, I'll be fine."

Candi nodded and sat back some, watching as the movie started.

--

chay 🍍